nato il 15.5.1928 a Boston, MA, Stati Uniti d'America
morto il 4.11.1963 a Santa Monica, CA, Stati Uniti d'America
Links www.jazzhistorydatabase.com (Inglese)
Joe Gordon (musician)
Joseph Henry Gordon (May 15, 1928 in Boston, Massachusetts – November 4, 1963 in Santa Monica, California) was an American jazz trumpeter.
His first professional gigs were in Boston in 1947; he played with Georgie Auld, Charlie Mariano, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Parker (1953–55 intermittently), Art Blakey (1954), and Don Redman. In 1956 he toured the Middle East with Dizzy Gillespie's big band; he was a soloist on "A Night in Tunisia". Following this he played with Horace Silver. After moving to Los Angeles, he recorded with Barney Kessel, Benny Carter, Harold Land, Shelly Manne (195860) and Dexter Gordon. He recorded as a bandleader for two sessions, and appeared on one recording from Thelonious Monk.
He died in a house fire in 1963.
- 1955: Introducing Joe Gordon (EmArcy)
- 1960: West Coast Days - Live At The Lighthouse (Fresh Sound, with Scott LaFaro, Richie Kamuca, Russ Freeman, Monty Budwig, Shelly Manne, Victor Feldman, Stan Levey)
- 1961: Lookin' Good! (Contemporary Records, with Jimmy Woods, Dick Whittington, Jimmy Bond, Milt Turner)
With Art Blakey
- Blakey (EmArcy, 1954)
With Donald Byrd
- Byrd's Eye View (Transition, 1955)
With Dizzy Gillespie
- World Statesman (Norgran, 1956)
- Dizzy in Greece (Verve, 1957)
With Barney Kessel
- Some Like It Hot (Contemporary, 1959)
With Harold Land
- West Coast Blues! (Jazzland, 1960)
With Shelly Manne
- Shelly Manne & His Men At The Black Hawk Vol.1-5 (Contemporary, 1959)
- Shelly Manne & His Men J.A.T.P./ Yesterdays (Pablo, 1960, Release 2003)
With Thelonious Monk
- Thelonious Monk at the Blackhawk (Riverside Records, 1960)
With Horace Silver
- Silver's Blue (Columbia, 1956)
- New England Jazz History Database - Joe Gordon - Biography
- Scott Yanow, [Joe Gordon (musician) at All Music Guide Joe Gordon] at Allmusic
Questo articolo si basa sull'articolo Joe Gordon (musician) dell'enciclopedia liber Wikipedia ed è sottoposto a LICENZA GNU per documentazione libera.
In Wikipedia è disponibile una lista degli autori.