Juliet Roberts (born 6 May 1962, London) is a British jazz, rock and house-music singer of Grenadian descent.
She originally recorded as Julie Roberts in 1982, and performed on the 1983 Top 10 hit single, "It's Over" by the Funkmasters. In July 1983, she released the single "Fool For You" backed with "It's Been A Long, Long Time" on the Bluebird Records label, catalogue reference BRT3. The single peaked at #77 on the Gallup chart, week ending 20 August 1983.
In 1984, Roberts began a four year stint as vocalist for the jazz group Working Week. She also released another single on Bluebird, "The Old Rugged Cross" b/w "I'm So Glad". In 1986 she released "Ain't You Had Enough Love", a cover of a Phyllis Hyman recording. The same year she also presented Channel 4's Solid Soul programme with Chris Forbes.
In 1990, she provided backing vocals on Cathy Dennis' Move To This album.
Roberts collaborated with British house group LA Mix on the album Coming Back for More in 1991. On the album, she appeared on four tracks, amongst them the single "We Shouldn't Hold Hands In The Dark", which reached #69 in the UK Singles Chart in 1991. The mastermind behind LA Mix was British DJ, producer and song writer Les Adams.
Roberts resurfaced in 1993 as a dance music artist, with the hit single "I Want You". (#1 U.S. Dance, #44 U.S. Billboard Hot 100) and the house music offering, "Caught In The Middle". An album, Natural Thing, followed in 1994. Roberts has also taught British television viewers vocal performance basics on the UK's Rockschool TV series. In addition to her solo and musical ensemble projects, she has carved out a career as an in-demand backing vocalist. Since 1997, she has had a trio of UK Top 20 hits: "So Good", "Bad Girls" and "Needin U II".
UK chart singles discography
- "Caught In the Middle" (1992) - UK #24
- "Free Love" (1993) - UK #25
- "Again" / "I Want You" (1994) - UK #33
- "Caught In The Middle" (remix) (1994) - UK 14
- "I Want You" (remix) (1994) - UK #28
- "So Good" / "Free Love 98" (remix) (1998) - UK #15
- "Bad Girls" / "I Like" (1999) - UK #17
- "Needin U II" (2001) - UK #11
David Morales presents The Face featuring Juliet Roberts
- "Sad Song" with Papa Wemba - Emotion (Zaire 1995)
- Natural Thing (1994)
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- Larry Stabbins. All About Jazz. Retrieved on 2010-04-10.
- LA Mix* - Coming Back For More (CD, Album) at Discogs. Discogs.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- ChartArchive - LA Mix. Chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-24. Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- britfunkheaven.org.uk. britfunkheaven.org.uk. Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums, 19th, London: Guinness World Records Limited.