born on 9/4/1794
died on 25/11/1881
Theobald Böhm (or Boehm) (April 9, 1794 November 27, 1881) was a German inventor and musician, who perfected the modern Western concert flute and its improved fingering system (now known as the "Boehm system"). He was a Bavarian court musician, a virtuoso flautist, and a celebrated composer for the flute.
Born in Munich in Bavaria, Boehm learned his father's trade of goldsmithing. After making his own flute, he quickly became proficient enough to play in an orchestra at the age of eighteen and at twenty-one he was first flautist in the Royal Bavarian Orchestra. Meanwhile, he experimented with constructing flutes out of many different materialstropical hardwoods (usually Grenadilla wood), silver, gold, nickel and copperand with changing the positions of the flute's tone holes.
After studying acoustics at the University of Munich, he began experimenting on improving the flute in 1832, first patenting his new fingering system in 1847. He published Über den Flötenbau ("On the construction of flutes"), also in 1847. His new flute was first displayed in 1851 at the London Exhibition. In 1871 Boehm published Die Flöte und das Flötenspiel ("The Flute and Flute-Playing"), a treatise on the acoustical, technical and artistic characteristics of the Boehm system flute. Some of the flutes he made still function. His fingering system has also been adapted to other instruments, such as the oboe and the clarinet.
- Friedrich Dülon
- Justus Johannes Heinrich Ribock
- 1.0 1.1 1.2 Böhm, Theobald; Dayton Clarence Miller (1964). The flute and flute-playing in acoustical, technical, and artistic aspects, Dover Publications.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 Philip Bate/Ludwig Böhm, Boehm, Theobald in The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians edited by Stanley Sadie, volume 3, pages 777 - 778
- Welch, Christopher (1883). History of the Boehm flute, London: Rudall, Carte & Co.
- Free scores by Theobald Boehm in the International Music Score Library Project
- Alto flute, Boehm and Mendler, Munich, ca. 1880 at The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Flute and Flute-Playing in Acoustical, Technical, and Artistic Aspects The Flute and Flute-Playing in Acoustical, Technical, and Artistic Aspects (Kindle Edition)
- On the construction of flutes
- 1920, "Böhm, Theobald", Encyclopedia Americana