born on 28/3/1976
Alias David Brent Keuning
Links www.thekillersmusic.com (English)
David Brent "Dave" Keuning (born March 28, 1976) is an American guitarist. He is best known as the lead guitarist of the rock band The Killers, with whom he has recorded five studio albums.
David Brent Keuning was born and brought up in Pella, Iowa. He started to play guitar just before entering Pella Community High School where he played in the jazz band. In 2000 Keuning moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. He found work at the Banana Republic store in The Venetian Hotel and Casino on The Strip.
Keuning has one son and lives in San Diego, CA.
The Killers (2001-present)
The band began when Keuning placed an ad in the Las Vegas Weekly which read: "Seeking musicians for all original band. Influences: Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, Bowie, Radiohead." Shortly, Brandon Flowers answered the ad and the two began practicing and writing together later to be joined by Mark Stoermer and Ronnie Vannucci, Jr. The Killers' first demos included the future hit "Mr. Brightside" which Keuning wrote the guitar riff to before meeting Brandon Flowers. The Killers have sold more than 25 million records worldwide including four consecutive No. 1 studio albums in the UK.
Keuning announced in August 2017 that he won't be joining the band to tour supporting their newest album, although he will remain a member of the group.
Keuning has mentioned in interviews that he has some songs he has worked on that he has considered releasing solo or as a side project. He joined Imagine Dragons alongside Wayne Sermon (of Imagine Dragons) during closing track "Nothing Left To Say" on the Into The Night Tour.
- Gibson ES-335
- Fender Starcaster
- Ibanez Destroyer
- Gibson Flying V
- Gibson Les Paul Custom
- Fender Stratocaster
- Gibson J45
- Ibanez AE Classical Guitar
Guitars are tuned down 1/2 step from standard. Drop-Db tuning for both versions of the song Sam's Town and the recorded version of Tranquilize.
- Furman AR15 Voltage Regulator
- Axess Electronics FX1+ expansion board, midi foot controllers w/ axess CFX4 control function switchers and custom made Axess Electronics Deville footswitch interfaces
- Lectrosonics Wireless Units
- Zaolla Artist and Zaolla Silverline series cables as cables and cable snakes
- (2) duplicate FX racks are wired up w/Mogami Cable
- Pedals, in Voodoo Lab GCX Audio Switcher Loops: Keeley Mod Ibanez TS9 (phat mod and baked mod)(x2), Boss DD6 Digital Delay, MXR Phase 100 (x2), Electro Harmonix Keeley Mod Big Muff Pi, Ibanez AD99 Keeley Mod Delay, Ibanez AC99 Keeley Mod Chorus, Digitech Whammy, TRex RoommSpate Reverb, and Buff Puff Boost. And for the acoustic: Fishman Aura Classical Pedal, Fishman Aura Dreadnought Pedal
Picks: Dunlop Nylon – 0.60mm, 0.73mm, 1.00mm
- Fender Deville 2x12" (x2)
- Hiwatt DG103 Head and Hiwatt 4x12" Speaker Cabinet
NOTE: Hiwatt currently are one of Keuning's sponsors.
Keuning is noted as a guitarist for playing anthemic and soaring solos in addition to sweetened and often percussive style playing frequently. He is also noted for his "unusual voicings" and "digit-distending, string-skipping" finger work on the guitar in similar fashion of Andy Summers of The Police.
In 2010, Keuning's guitar riff in "Mr. Brightside" was voted at number 9 in Total Guitar's 50 greatest riffs of the 21st Century so far.
|2004||Late Night with David Letterman||Himself||Performing "Somebody Told Me" as The Killers|
|2005||The Tonight Show With Jay Leno||Himself||Performing "Mr. Brightside" and "All These Things That I've Done" as The Killers|
|2005||Saturday Night Live||Himself||Performing "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" as The Killers|
|2006||Saturday Night Live||Himself||Performing "When You Were Young" and "Bones" as The Killers|
|2006||Late Night with David Letterman||Himself||Performing "When You Were Young" as The Killers|
|2006||The Tonight Show With Jay Leno||Himself||Performing "Bones"/"A Great Big Sled" as The Killers|
|2008||Saturday Night Live||Himself||Performing "Human" and "Spaceman" as The Killers|
|2009||The Tonight Show With Jay Leno||Himself||Performing "Spaceman" as The Killers|
|2009||Late Night with David Letterman||Himself||Performing "A Dustland Fairytale" as The Killers|
|2012||Late Night with David Letterman||Himself||Performing "Runaways" as The Killers|
|2013||Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Himself||Performing "Old Man Jimmy (Is Soon to Die)" as The Killers|
- "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" - Brandon Flowers (2010)
- "Wander" - We Are Hyena (2012)
- "This Is A Joke" (2014) - Bombay Heavy
- "Clouds Pretend" - The Hunt (2014)
- TBA - Blackout Balter (TBA 2016)
Awards and nominations
-  Biographicon: Dave Keuning
- "The Killers' Dave Keuning" Guitar Player Magazine Feb 2010 Iss.
- Longobardy, Joshua. "When he was young" Las Vegas Weekly. Feb 15, 2007.Third Page, First Paragraph.
-  The Killers Bio VH1.com
- "Killers Guitarist Dave Keuning Announces Touring Break". 28 August 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "The Killers - Tone Deaf". www.tonedeaf.com.au. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Imagine Dragons - Nothing Left To Say w/ guest Dave Keuning of The Killers Feb 15, 2014 San Diego". YouTube.
http://www.thekillersfansite.com/article%20pics/guitarist%20magazine%20may2009/ggd3.jpg. Retrieved 2017-11-20. Missing or empty
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-04-25. Retrieved 2010-04-18. Hiwatt Website: Artists
- Crompton, Jamie. "Dave Keuning Interview: Serial Killer" Guitarist May 2009 Iss.
- Bosso, Joe. "The Killers: All Killer No Filler" Guitar World Magazine. March 26, 2009.
- "Muse Dominate Best Guitar Riff Poll". GIGWISE.com.
- "Dave Keuning: 'The Killers Started Because I Lost My Job'". Archived from the original on 2014-02-21.
- "RHF - Music - We Are Hyena- Wander (Feat. Dave Keuning of The Killers)". Archived from the original on 2014-12-17.
- "Bombay Heavy - This Is A Joke, by BOMBAY HEAVY". Bombay Heavy. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Clouds Pretend (featuring Dave Keuning Of THE KILLERS)". Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- The Killers official site, from Island Records
- The Killers official site (U.K.), from the Vertigo label
- Dave Keuning Facebook Fan Group
- Interview:Serial Killer from Guitarist Magazine May 2009 Iss.
- Interview: All Killer No Filler from Guitar World Magazine February 2009 Iss.
- Interview at Glastonbury Fest by NME
- Dave Keuning Pedalboard