born in 1967 in Guadalcanal, Andalucía, Spain
Links www.vicente-amigo.com (English, French, German, Italian)
Vicente Amigo Girol (born 25 March 1967) is a Spanish flamenco composer and virtuoso guitarist, born in Guadalcanal, near Seville. He has played as backing guitarist on recordings by flamenco singers El Pele, Camarón de la Isla, Vicente Soto, Luis de Córdoba and the rociero band Salmarina, and he has acted as a producer for Remedios Amaya and José Mercé. His album Ciudad de las Ideas won the 2001 Latin Grammy for the Best Flamenco Album and the 2002 Ondas award for the best Flamenco work.
Although he is Sevillian by birth, he was raised and lives in Córdoba, where he attended his first guitar lessons with El Tomate and Merengue de Córdoba, and later, he improved his guitar playing with Manolo Sanlúcar, with whom he worked for ten years. After a period of accompaniment which began alongside El Pele, he started to devote himself almost exclusively to playing concerts in 1988. De Mi Corazón al Aire ("From Out of My Heart", 1991) was his first record. An admirer of Paco de Lucía since childhood, Amigo took part with him in the show "Leyendas de la guitarra" (Legends of the Guitar) that was held in Seville as a foretaste of the Expo 92 exhibition, which also featured Paco de Lucía, Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Nuno Bettencourt, Phil Manzanera, Joe Cocker, Jack Bruce and Richard Thompson. By that time, he had already been awarded some of the most prestigious flamenco guitar prizes.
Vicente Amigo has taken part in recordings by Khaled, Miguel Bosé, Carmen Linares, Manolo Sanlúcar, Wagner Tiso, Rosario, Nacho Cano, Alejandro Sanz, Sting, etc., and has shared the stage with the greatest of contemporary artists: Paco de Lucía, Stanley Jordan, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Milton Nascimento.
- De mi corazón al aire (1991)
- Vivencias Imaginadas (1995)
- Poeta (1997)
- Ciudad de las Ideas (2000)
- Ciudad de las Ideas - en concierto desde Córdoba(Live DVD) (2004)
- Un Momento en el Sonido (2005)
- Paseo De Gracia (2009)
- "Vivencias" La Obra Completa de un Genio (2010)
- Tierra (2013)
- Harrigan, Tom, Alejandro Sanz takes top Latin Grammys in terror-delayed ceremony, The Register-Guard, 1 November 2001, p. 3D. URL accessed on 18 June 2013.
- Vicente Amigo biography and discography at deflamenco.com
- Vicente Amigo biography and discography at flamenco-world.com
- Vicente Amigo on Last.fm