Winfield Scott (songwriter)
Winfield Scott (also known as Robie Kirk) was an American songwriter, who wrote or co-wrote the hit songs "Tweedle Dee" for LaVern Baker and "Return to Sender" for Elvis Presley. "Return to Sender", written for the Presley film Girls! Girls! Girls!, was his biggest hit, selling over 14 million copies in the U.S. alone.
Scott was a longtime collaborator of Otis Blackwell and together they were hired to write a song for the Elvis Presley film Roustabout. While the film was released in 1964, the song "I'm a Roustabout" was not used, producer Hal Wallis instead preferring "Roustabout", written by Bill Giant, Bernie Baum and Florence Kaye, as the title song. In 2003, a remark made to a reporter by Scott started a search for the lost recording of the Presley song, which was eventually found and released on the 2003 Elvis Presley compilation album, 2nd to None. Another Scott and Blackwell collaboration is the R&B classic "Home In Your Heart".
Scott also wrote "Many Tears Ago" for Connie Francis. Released in October, 1960, the song reached number 7 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Partial song list
- "Burn That Candle" (Bill Haley)
- "Bop-Ting-a-Ling" with Blackwell
- "Were Comin In Loaded" with Blackwell
- "Easy Question" with Blackwell
- "Return to Sender" with Blackwell
- "One Broken Heart For Sale" with Blackwell
- "Please Dont Drag That String Around" with Blackwell
- "Long Legged Girl" with Leslie McFarland
- "Stranger In The Crowd"
- "Comfy'n Cozy" with Blackwell (Conway Twitty)
- "A Bucket of Tears" (Peggy Lee)
- "Sweetheart" (Peggy Lee)
- "That's Right" (Mills Brothers) 1956
- "Mister Moon" (Pat Boone) 1963
- 1.0 1.1 Interview with Winfield Scott. Retrieved on 2006-11-13.
- Press Release - "I'm A Roustabout". Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Lost Elvis Song I'm a Roustabout. Retrieved on 2006-11-20.
- Thomas, Stephen (2003-10-07). 2nd to None - Elvis Presley : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards. AllMusic. Retrieved on 2013-04-02.
- The Derek Trucks Band. Archived from the original on 2006-11-12. Retrieved on 2006-11-20.