born on 19/2/1944 in Lerwick, Scotland, United Kingdom
died on 3/12/2020 in London, England, United Kingdom
Ron Mathewson (born 19 February 1944) is a Scottish jazz double bassist and bass guitarist born in Lerwick, Shetland Isles, Scotland. Mathewson is best known for his years spent working with Ronnie Scott, but has also done recordings with Stan Getz, Joe Henderson, Ben Webster, Philly Joe Jones, Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans.
Mathewson was born into an unusually musical household and at eight years old he was studying classical piano. He continued to study and perform classical piano until he reached sixteen, having started playing bass guitar a year earlier. His talent was noted and encouraged by the Shetland musician, Peerie Willie Johnson.
In 1962, Mathewson was in Germany playing professionally with a Scottish Dixieland band. In London he also performed with various jazz and R&B bands throughout the early 1960s. Around this time he was also a member of The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band.
In 1966 Mathewson became a member of the Tubby Hayes band, with which he performed until 1973. From 1975 on in to the 1990s, he was frequently a participant in various Ronnie Scott recordings and concerts.
On 11 February 2007 a benefit concert was held for Mathewson, who was reportedly recovering from two broken hips, a broken wrist and a burst artery.
With Tubby Hayes
- For Members Only (Live) (Miles Music)
- Mexican Green (Fontana Records)
With John Taylor
- Reverie (Vinyl Records)
With Gordon Beck
- Seven Steps to Evans w/ Tony Oxley & Kenny Wheeler (MPS Records)
- All in the Morning (Jaguar Records)
- Jazz Trio (Musica Records)
- Gordon Beck's Gyroscope: One, Two, Three....Go! (Jaguar Records)
With Ronnie Scott
- Live At Ronnie Scott's (CBS Records)
- Serious Gold (Pye Records)
With Phil Woods and His European Rhythm Machine
- Live at Montreux 72 (Les Disques Pierre Cardin)
With John Stevens
- Blue (Culture Press Records)
With Terry Smith
- Fall Out (Philips Records)
With Kenny Clarke
- Rue Chaptal (MPS Records)
With Kenny Wheeler
- Song For Someone (Incus Records)
With Charles Tolliver
- Impact (Live) (Enja Records)
With Acoustic Alchemy
- Early Alchemy (GRP Records)
With Ian Carr
- Solar Plexus (Vertigo Records)
With the Spontaneous Music Ensemble
- The Source: From and Towards (Tangent Records)
- Live Big Band and Quartet (Vinyl Records)
With The Chitinous Ensemble
- Chitinous (Deram Records)
With Stan Sulzmann
- On Loan with Gratitude (Mosaic Records)
- Wonderin' (1980)
With Ray Nance
- Huffin'n'Puffin' (1971)
- Ron Mathewson biography and discography.
- "Ron Mathewson - Shetland's forgotten genius of the double bass", Tom Morton's Beatcroft, 11 November 2008.