born on 26/12/1942 in Detroit, MI, United States
Doug Hammond (born December 26, 1942) is a free funk/avant-garde jazz drummer, composer, poet, producer and professor from Tampa, Florida, U.S.A. His first major release was Reflections in the Sea of Nurnen on Tribe Records in 1975.
He has worked with musicians like Earl Hooker, Sonny Rollins, Charles Mingus, Sammy Price, Donald Byrd, Wolfgang Dauner, Ornette Coleman, Steve Coleman, Nina Simone, Betty Carter, Marion Williams, Paquito D'Rivera, Arnett Cobb, James Blood Ulmer and Arthur Blythe.
In 2010 Doug Hammond wrote and conducted "Acknowledgement Suite" with Dwight Adams, Jean Toussaint, Roman Filiú, Howard Curtis, Wendell Harrison, Dick Griffin, Stéphane Payen, Kirk Lightsey and Arron James.
He currently lives and works in Linz, Austria. He was a professor at the Anton Bruckner Private University for Music, Drama, and Dance in Linz.
- Mingus Moves with Charles Mingus (1973)
- Reflections in the Sea of Nurnen with David Durrah (Tribe, 1975; Pony Canyon, 2004)
- Ellipse with Karen Joseph (Idibib, 1976)
- Folks (Idibib, 1980)
- Alone (Scarecrow, 1982)
- Spaces (Idibib, 1982; Rebel-X/DIW, 1992) with Steve Coleman among others
- and Mo' Folks: We People (Idibib, 1989) with Regina Carter among others
- Perspiciuty (L+R, 1991) Trio with Steve Coleman
- It's Born (JPC, 1996)
- Singing Smiles (Idibib, 2005)
- A Real Deal (Heavenly Sweetness, 2007)
- It's Now (Idibib, 2010)
- New Beginning (Blue Marge, 2010)
- Doug Hammond. Doug Hammond. Retrieved on 2012-03-06.
- Doug Hammond Discography at Discogs. Discogs.com (1942-12-26). Retrieved on 2012-03-06.
- Doug Hammond. AllMusic. Retrieved on 2012-03-06.
- Doug Hammond's official homepage
- Doug Hammond at Facebook
- Doug Hammond's Myspace page
- Doug Hammond at Allaboutjazz
- Doug Hammond interview at opus-x.de
- Doug Hammond Tentet Project interviews at Allaboutjazz.com
- Doug Hammond - "An AmeriEuro Fantasia"
This article uses material from the article Doug Hammond from the free encyclopedia Wikipedia and it is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.