born on 3/10/1972 in Lexington, KY, United States
Links www.kevinrichardson.com (English)
Kevin Richardson (musician)
|Kevin Richardson (musician)|
Kevin Richardson was born in Lexington, Kentucky. He is the youngest of three brothers. He has been singing in church choir since he was a child and he started acting in high school.
As a youth, he was a chess club member and acted in school plays such as "Bye, Bye Birdie" at his school in Kentucky, Estill County High School. He was also a football captain.
In Florida, he worked as a cast member in Walt Disney World. He was a backstage tour guide and costume characters, most notably as Aladdin and one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There he also met his future wife Kristin Willits, who was playing the character of Belle from "Beauty and the Beast." He worked at Walt Disney World until he joined the Backstreet Boys in 1993.
- Main article: Backstreet Boys
In 1993, Richardson joined a new group called Backstreet Boys. After he joined, the group was still looking for one more member so Richardson called Brian Littrell, who was Richardson's maternal first cousin, to ask him to audition for the group. Littrell was immediately accepted, and the very next day he officially joined the group. After Littrell joined, the quintet officially took shape.
Richardson was part of the group until 2006, when he announced his departure to pursue other interests and "move on with the next chapter of [his] life." He recorded a total of five albums with the group in the span of 13 years. On June 23, 2006 he issued the following statement on the band's website:
After 13 years of what can only be described as a dream come true, I have decided that it is time to leave the Backstreet Boys. It was a very tough decision for me but one that was necessary in order to move on with the next chapter of my life. Howard, Brian, Alex and Nick will always be my little brothers and have my utmost love and support. I would like to thank the Backstreet fans for all the beautiful memories we have shared together and look forward to including you in the next phase of my life. I wish my brothers continued success and look forward to their new album.
On November 23, 2008, for the first time after he left, Richardson rejoined his former bandmates on stage in Hollywood Palladium, LA. He performed the encore, "Shape of My Heart" with the group.
The Backstreet Boys, including Richardson, appeared on the November 4, 2010, episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show. Richardson first appeared in a pre-taped segment in which they surprised a fan who thought she was merely being flown in to participate in a "Backstreet Boys' Biggest Fan" contest. Moments later, Richardson joined the group in the show's studio and performed "I Want It That Way" live with them.
On July 1, 2011, Richardson again rejoined the Backstreet Boys on stage at Staples Center, Los Angeles, as part of the NKOTBSB Tour. He sang "I Want It That Way" with the group and the mash up at the end of the show along with NKOTB members.
|Being back with my brothers again feels great. I love these guys. We have gone through so much together. We just have a chemistry... a bond that will always be.|
—Kevin Richardson, Rolling Stone
On the October 25, 2011, episode of On Air with Ryan Seacrest, Richardson announced that he was going to be at a Backstreet Boys beach party in Nassau, Bahamas, on December 3, 2011. The party is part of the group's second annual cruise. In addition to being in the party, Richardson performed several songs with the group on the boat in the evening. In the announcement, he also stated that he would love to perform with the group again on a more regular basis.
On April 29, 2012, during a live show in London, Backstreet Boys confirmed that Richardson was back permanently with the group and would be recording a new album with them in July 2012. Richardson also appeared along with the group on Good Morning America on July 17, 2012, announcing his return, their new album, and their first performance as a five-piece group since 2006 at the morning show's Summer Concert Series on August 31, 2012. It was also his first TV appearance with the group since he returned. Regarding his return, Richardson gave the following statement: "Being back with my brothers again feels great. I love these guys. We have gone through so much together. We just have a chemistry... a bond that will always be."
In an interview with On Air with Ryan Seacrest on July 24, 2012, Richardson explained that the reason he came back to the group was because he realized how much joy singing and music gives him. He mentioned that the Christmas concert he did in December 2011 helped him rediscover his love of music and how much he missed it.
In 2003, Richardson composed the soundtrack of an animated movie, The Spirit Bear, which was due out in 2010.
On December 18, 2011, he headlined a Christmas concert titled "Home for the Holidays" with Rob Gonzalez. The concert was hosted by Montage Beverly Hills luxury hotel and it benefited The Angeles Clinic Foundation of Los Angeles.
In 2012, Richardson began working on his first solo album. The album will include songs that have influenced him over the years. The album was supposed to be released in 2012 but delayed as he returned as an active member of the Backstreet Boys the same year.
He has been a model for Versace. He also modeled for Vogue and is a brand ambassador for TAG Heuer.
Along with the rest of the Backstreet Boys, Richardson has made appearances on Arthur, Sesame Street, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and This Is the End.
In 2003, during Backstreet Boys' hiatus, Richardson played the role of Billy Flynn in the Broadway production of Chicago. and in 2003, he made an appearance on Punk'd where he got punk'd by Ashton Kutcher.
On November 14, 2006, several months after he left the Backstreet Boys, he returned to New York City with many Chicago alumni for the 10th anniversary of the show. From late November to December 3, 2006 Richardson played the role of Billy Flynn in Toronto, and from February 4 to March 4, 2007, he played the role in Japan. He also returned to Japan to play the role in late September and early October 2009.
Richardson starred in his first TV movie in the 2009 Christian drama Love Takes Wing, based on a book by Janette Oke. He played the role of Cyrus.
In 2010, Richardson starred in The Bloody Indulgent, a vampire themed musical film. In the same year he also starred opposite Susan Traylor, Daniela Sea, Pleasant Gehman, Garrett Swann and Michael Maize in Steve Balderson's feature film drama The Casserole Club. Richardson received an Independent Vision Award for Best Actor for his performance in The Casserole Club at Vision Fest in New York City in 2011.
Also in 2011, he starred in a short film, Unwound. It is an entry for Producers Guild of America premiere Weekend Shorts Event contest to benefit the Debra Hill Foundation. The film only took 51 hours from script to final cut.
In 2013, Richardson and the other Backstreet Boys appeared as fictional version of themselves in the comedy film This Is The End.
Richardson has been married to Kristin Kay Willits since 2000. Their engagement was announced on MTV in February 2000, and the couple married on June 17, 2000, at Lee County's Cathedral Domain in rural eastern Kentucky. Together they have two sons, born in 2007 and 2013.
|Book: Backstreet Boys|
|Wikipedia books are collections of articles that can be downloaded or ordered in print.|
- Netter, Matt (January 1999). Backstreet Boys * Aaron Carter, New York: Pocket Books.
- Kevin Richardsons Interview by Chet Cooper. Ability Magazine. Retrieved on October 3, 2012.
- Kevin Richardson: Sexiest Pop Star. People (November 15, 1999). Retrieved on July 21, 2012.
- Statement to our fans from the Backstreet Boys regarding Kevin Richardson departure from the group. Backstreet Boys (June 23, 2006). Archived from the original on June 25, 2006.
- All Five 'Backstreet Boys' Reunite in L.A.. andPop.com (November 27, 2008). Retrieved on May 23, 2012.
- Backstreet Boys -- All Five Of Them -- Reunite Onstage In L.A.. MTV (Nov 24, 2008). Retrieved on July 12, 2012.
- The Backstreet Boys Reunite. Oprah.com. Retrieved on May 23, 2012.
- Kevin Richardson joins Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block in Los Angeles. Pop2it - Zap2it (July 2, 2011). Retrieved on May 23, 2012.
- Kevin Richardson On Appearing With The Backstreet Boys Again [AUDIO] (October 25, 2011). Retrieved on October 25, 2011.
- Hilton, Perez (April 29, 2012). BACKSTREET'S BACK! Kevin Richardson Announces Return To Backstreet Boys PERMANENTLY!. Perez Hilton.com. Retrieved on April 29, 2012.
- Kevin Richardson will rejoin The Backstreet Boys during special Central Park concert on 'GMA', Washington Post, July 17, 2012. URL accessed on July 17, 2012.
- All Five Original Backstreet Boys Prep New Album. Rolling Stone (July 18, 2012). Retrieved on July 18, 2012.
- *LISTEN* AJ McLean and Kevin Richardson Call Ryan. Ryan Seacrest Productions (July 24, 2012). Retrieved on July 27, 2012.
- The Movies. The Spirit Bear Youth Coalition. Retrieved on September 6, 2012.
- Frederick, Brittany (December 8, 2011). News Celebs TV Movies Music Photos Contests Video Q&A: Rob Gonzalez & Kevin Richardson Come 'Home' For Cancer Benefit. StarPulse. Retrieved on July 1, 2012.
- Backstreet Boy Richardson will juggle return to group with acting career. Kentucky.
- D'ORA Versace. Retrieved on May 3, 2012.
- Backstreet to Broadway: Richardson Is Billy Flynn Beginning Jan. 20. Playbill.com (January 20, 2003). Retrieved on May 3, 2012.
- Kevin Richardson joins Chicago anniversary show. Monsters and Critics (October 6, 2006). Retrieved on May 3, 2012.
- Haylie Duff's "Love Takes Wing" (February 3, 2009). Retrieved on May 3, 2012.
- Kevin Richardson to Reunite with the Backtreet Boys. Yahoo! Music.
- The Casserole Club. Raindance Film Festival.
- Domani Vision Film Society (June 27, 2011). CASSEROLE CLUB dishes out new Independent Vision Awards record and walks off with 5 wins including Outstanding Production & Direction!. Press release. Retrieved on May 3, 2012
- CASSEROLE CLUB dishes out new Independent Vision Awards record and walks off with 5 wins including Outstanding Production & Direction!. Film Festival Today (June 28, 2011). Retrieved on July 27, 2012.
- "Unwound" (November 22, 2011). Retrieved on August 15, 2012.
- "Bearly There" working title Indiegogo. Retrieved on May 3, 2012.
- Best of 2013 (Behind the Scenes): Evan Goldberg on how much of 'This Is The End' was improvised, his favorite moments. EW (December 3, 2013). Retrieved on January 7, 2014.
- Kevin Richardson and wife welcome son Mason. People (July 4, 2007). Retrieved on January 19, 2012.
- Backstreet Boys' Kevin Richardson Is Now a Father of Two!. E! Online (July 11, 2013). Retrieved on July 11, 2013.
- [kevinrichardson.com Official website]
- [backstreetboys.com Official website]
- Kevin Richardson on Facebook
- Kevin Richardson on Twitter
- Richardson Kevin Richardson (musician) at YouTube
- Kevin Richardson at the Internet Movie Database
Studio albums: Backstreet Boys · Backstreet's Back · Millennium · Black & Blue · The Hits: Chapter One · Never Gone
Singles: "We've Got It Goin' On" · "Get Down (You're the One For Me)" · "Anywhere For You" · "Quit Playin' Games (With My Heart)"
"As Long As You Love Me" · "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" · "I'll Never Break Your Heart" · "All I Have to Give"
"I Want It That Way" · "Larger Than Life" · "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" · "The One" · "Shape of My Heart"
"The Call" · "More Than That" · "Drowning" · "Incomplete" · "Just Want You To Know"
"Crawling Back to You" · "I Still"
Related articles: Discography · Awards · Jive