BBMak (Barry, Burns, McNally) were an English pop group consisting of Mark Barry, Christian Burns and Stephen McNally. Together they sold nearly three million albums and spawned two Top 10 and Top 40 singles worldwide between 1999 when the group was formed and 2003 when they eventually disbanded. The band guest starred on Disney's television show, Even Stevens in 2001.
Sooner or Later
In 1999, when the group's debut single "Back Here" was released, it barely made it into the Top 40 in the United Kingdom. BBMak's debut album, Sooner or Later, was released in 2000 and sold over one million copies, giving the re-release of "Back Here" more publicity and the single eventually climbed to No. 5 on the UK Singles Chart, No. 13 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart and No. 1 on the U.S. adult contemporary chart. The band's next single, "Still On Your Side," reached No. 8 in the UK and No. 54 in the US. BBMak closed that year with sold out concerts and a live performance on MTV in Times Square on New Year's Eve. In 2001 BBMak released a DVD called Sooner Or Later: Our First Year in America and their third single "Ghost of You and Me" peaked at No. 8 on the U.S. adult contemporary chart.
In July 2001, BBMak had the track "Miss You More" featured on the soundtrack to The Princess Diaries. Later that year in October, Christian Burns' vocals were featured along with those of 'N Sync's Lance Bass and Joey Fatone, Mandy Moore and True Vibe on the single "On The Line" for the film of the same name. The song "Don't Look Down" was also featured on the soundtrack to On The Line. The "Out of Reach" track from the album Into Your Head appeared in one of the episodes of the Lizzie McGuire hit TV series season 2. The band contributed a song titled "Always Know Where You Are" to Disney's "Treasure Planet" soundtrack in 2002. Also, BBMak covered the song "Do You Believe in Magic" for Disney's Peter Pan Sequel, Return to Neverland.
Into Your Head
In August 2002, BBMak released their second album titled Into Your Head, which reintroduced the group with a "nu-breed" sound with more emphasis on harmonies. The album reached No. 25 on the Billboard 200. The first single from it, "Out of My Heart (Into Your Head)," peaked at No. 56 on the Hot 100 chart and No. 25 on the Adult Contemporary chart. In 2003, their next single "Staring Into Space" was released in select countries.
BBMak broke up in 2003, after having released two full-length studio albums with a total of six singles as well as three live DVDs, reaching close to three million records sold. Afterwards, Barry, Burns and McNally all went on to pursue solo careers. After resting for a short while, McNally began to write songs about his experiences, passions and where he is in life now, while Burns formed a new band called Inhaler, now renamed to The Bleach Works. Burns has worked with DJ Tiësto and he released the single "In the Dark" featuring Burns.
On 15 September 2007, McNally auditioned on the fourth season of The X Factor. He was successful in making it through to the next round, "Boot Camp". He later joined the band 10 Reasons to Live, as lead singer and occasional guitar player.
Barry is writing with his new band, Fresno, and recording demos and writing songs as a solo artist. He currently works as a personal trainer in Bolton, Lancashire.
- Mark Barry: vocals, and sometimes other musical instruments, including the bagpipes, and hurdy gurdy - born Mark Anthony Luke Barry, 26 October 1978, Salford.
- Christian Burns: acoustic guitar and vocals - born Christian Anthony Burns, 18 January 1974, Wigan.
- Stephen McNally: electric guitar and vocals - born Stephen Patrick McNally, 4 July 1978, Liverpool.
|Title||Album details|| Peak chart
|Sooner or Later||
|Into Your Head||
|"" denotes releases that did not chart|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
| US AC
| US Adult
| US Pop
|2000||"Back Here"||5||27||18||13||1||12||8||Sooner or Later|
|2001||"Still On Your Side"||8||30||54||40||14|
|"Ghost of You and Me"||110||8||28|
|"Love Is Leaving"|
|2002||"Out of My Heart (Into Your Head)"||36||22||19||56||25||23||20||Into Your Head|
|2003||"Staring Into Space"|
|"" denotes releases that did not chart|
- "Back Here" *UK version Directed by Dani Jacobs
- "Back Here" *US version Directed by Dani Jacobs
- "Ghost Of You And Me" Directed by Nigel Dick
- 2001 - Music in High Places: Live In Vietnam (DVD/VHS)
- 2001 - Sooner Or Later: Our First Year in America (DVD/VHS)
- 2002 - Out Of My Heart (Into Your Head) (DVD)
- Bolton Personal Trainer - Mark Barry. Easyfit-personaltraining.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-03-28.
- 2.0 2.1 Chart Log UK: Darren B - David Byrne. Official Charts Company. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- BBMak Album & Song Chart History - Billboard 200. Billboard. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- RIAA - Gold & Platinum - September 20, 2010: BBMak certified albums. Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved on 20 September 2010.
- [BBMak at All Music Guide allmusic ((( BBMak > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))]. Allmusic. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- irishcharts.com - Discography BBMak. Hung Medien. Retrieved on 16 August 2011.
- charts.org.nz - New Zealand charts portal. charts.org.nz. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- BBMak Album & Song Chart History - Hot 100. Billboard. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- BBMak Album & Song Chart History - Adult Contemporary. Billboard. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- BBMak Album & Song Chart History - Adult Pop Songs. Billboard. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.
- BBMak Album & Song Chart History - Pop Songs. Billboard. Retrieved on 19 September 2010.