Wisin & Yandel
Wisin & Yandel
|Wisin & Yandel|
Wisin & Yandel is a Puerto Rican reggaeton duo, consisting of Juan Luis Morera Luna (Wisin) and Llandel Veguilla Malavé (Yandel). They started their career in 1998 and have been together since, winning several awards during that time.
In 1998, Wisin & Yandel participated in the album No Fear 3, produced by DJ Dicky as well as on the compilation album The Mission Vol. 1, edited by Fresh Production label. The success of this collection (which was certified gold) led the label to produce Los Reyes del Nuevo Milenio, the first album by Wisin & Yandel.
From that moment the duo started a successful career. They continued posting new topics in the successive editions of The Mission and recorded three new albums: De Nuevos a Viejos (2001), De Otra Manera (2002), and Mi Vida... My Life (2003), all of which were certified gold. The duo also received the Tu Música Award for Best Rap/Reggaeton Duo in 2002.
In 2004, the duo released two separate solo efforts: El Sobreviviente by Wisin and Quien Contra Mí by Yandel, which sparked speculation about a possible separation. Sales of the albums were unimpressive, and the duo remained together.
Pa'l Mundo and WY Records (2005–2006)
The duo started their own label under the name of WY Records. In 2005, they released their first album under it, Pa'l Mundo, which became their most successful album to date. The album reached international status when it reached countries like China, Japan and some European countries. The album also peaked at #1 on Billboard's Top Latin Albums and was certified gold by RIAA. After the success of Pa'l Mundo, Wisin & Yandel released Los Vaqueros in 2006, which featured appearances of WY Records artists like Franco "El Gorila", Tony Dize, and Yomille Omar, as well as guest artists like Don Omar and Hector el Father.
International consolidation (2007–present)
On November 7, 2007, Wisin & Yandel released the album Los Extraterrestres, which featured collaborations with international artists like Eve and Fat Joe. The album was received positively by the Puerto Rican media, with mainstream newspaper Primera Hora awarding it a score of 4 out of 5. The review praised the fusion of styles found in the album, claiming that the production continued the "musical evolution" found in its predecessors.
Following the release of Los Extraterrestres the duo commenced an international promotional tour. After organizing concerts throughout Latin America and Europe, Wisin & Yandel noted that they would like to expand their markets to Africa and Australia. Wisin & Yandel participated in the closing ceremonies of the 2008 Viña del Mar Festival. The tickets for the event sold out, which the duo described as a "real honor". On June 2, 2008, the duo began a tour to promote Wisin vs. Yandel: Los Extraterrestres, Otra Dimensión, visiting several radio stations in Puerto Rico.
In June 2008, Wisin & Yandel participated in the 2008 edition of New York City's Puerto Rican Day Parade, organized on June 8, 2008. On June 12, 2008, they traveled to Los Angeles to attend the BMI Latin Awards, in which they received a nomination for Writer of the Year. Later they also received four Juventud Awards. They also made a guest appearance in an album titled Caribbean Connection released on June 24, 2008. The production featured several Latin American artists including Daddy Yankee, Don Omar and Hector "El Father" along Jamaican musicians like Inner Circle, Bounty Killer, Elephant Man and Wayne Wonder.
On July 19, 2008, the duo made a presentation before a sold-out crowd in Venezuela. The duet were selected to perform in "KQ Live Concert" on September 27, 2008, organized by KQ 105 FM, which included several renowned Puerto Rican and Latin American artists. On August 12, 2008, the mayor of their hometown of Cayey, Rolando Ortíz Velázquez, recognized Wisin & Yandel as "Ambassadors from Cayey to the world" during the city's annual Fiesta patronal. On April 24, 2009, Wisin & Yandel received the Latin Rhythm Album of the Year, Duo Or Group Latin Billboard Music Award for Los Extraterresres. Besides this recognition, the duo also received nominations for "Ahora Es" and "Síguelo" in the Tropical Airplay Song of the Year, Duo Or Group and Latin Rhythm Airplay Song of the Year, Duo Or Group categories.
In May 2009, Wisin & Yandel released their next album La Revolución, which featured rapper 50 Cent. Like their previous album, it peaked at #1 on Billboard's Top Latin Albums. On October 15, 2009, Wisin & Yandel won the Latin American MTV Award for "Artist of the Year" and "Video of the Year". In 2011, the duo released Los Vaqueros: El Regreso which peaked at #1 on several charts.
On April 30, 2012, the duo announced that they will be the opening act for Spanish singer Enrique Iglesias and American artist Jennifer Lopez at the Enrique Iglesias and Jennifer Lopez in Concert but later decided to opt out on June 29, 2012. Their album Líderes has a release date of July 3, 2012.
Wisin & Yandel have both decided to release solo albums in 2013. Wisin's "El Regreso del Sobreviviente" was released on March 18, 2014. Yandel's "De Lider a Leyenda" was released on November 5, 2013.
Wisin & Yandel will be coaches in the 3rd season of La Voz... México.
Their biggest hits are "Rakata", "Llamé Pa' Verte (Bailando Sexy)", "Pam Pam", "Sexy Movimiento", "Pegao", "Síguelo", "Abusadora","Zun Zun Rompiendo Caderas","Gracias a Tí","Tu Olor". Wisin & Yandel have collaborated with internationally known artists such as R. Kelly on "Burn It Up", Paris Hilton on the reggaeton remix to her debut single "Stars Are Blind", Ja Rule on "Rakata (Remix)", Lenny Kravitz on "Breathe" (a promotional song for Absolut Vodka), Mexican Pop group RBD on "Lento (Yandel)", compatriots La Secta AllStar on "Llora Mi Corazón", Fat Joe on "Jangueo", Nelly Furtado on "Sexy Movimiento (Remix)", 50 Cent on "Mujeres In The Club", "No Dejemos Que Se Apague" and "Así Soy" along with G-Unit, Akon on "All Up 2 You" along with Aventura, Enrique Iglesias on "No Me Digas Que No" and "Gracias a Tí", Gloria Estefan on "No Llores (Remix)", Ivy Queen on "Acércate" T-Pain on "Imaginate", "No Dejemos Que Se Apague," and in a remix for "Reverse Cowgirl", and Jennifer Lopez on "Follow the Leader". Yandel was also featured on "In Your Eyes" by Romanian dance/pop singer Inna.
Los Lideres clothing line
In November 2011, Wisin & Yandel launched the "Los Lideres" clothing line in association with Marc Ecko, founder and Chief Creative Officer of Marc Eck Enterprises. The collection is inspired by Wisin & Yandel's personal style and high-energy performances. The collection includes a selection of denim jeans, vests, military inspired jackets, t-shirts, headphones and jewelry.
- Juan Luis Morera Luna, born December 19 1978 , is from Cayey, Puerto Rico. He is married to Yomaira Ortiz Feliciano. They have two children, Yelena and Dylan.
- Llandel Veguilla Malavé, born January 14 1977 , is from Cayey, Puerto Rico. He is married to Edneris Espada Figueroa. They have two children, Adrian and Dereck.
- Main article: Wisin & Yandel discography
- Studio albums
- 2000: Los Reyes del Nuevo Milenio
- 2001: De Nuevos a Viejos
- 2002: De Otra Manera
- 2003: Mi Vida... My Life
- 2005: Pa'l Mundo
- 2007: Los Extraterrestres
- 2009: La Revolución
- 2011: Los Vaqueros: El Regreso
- 2012: Líderes
- Compilation albums
- 2007: 2010 Lost Edition
- 2009: Un Junte Pa' La Historia
- 2009: El Dúo de la Historia Vol. 1
- 2010: Lo Mejor De La Compañía
- Live albums
- 2007: Tomando Control: Live
- 2010: La Revolución: Live
- Collaboration albums
- 2006: Los Vaqueros
- 2008: La Mente Maestra
- 2004: El Sobreviviente
- 2014: El Regreso del Sobreviviente
- 2003: Quien Contra Mí
- 2013: De Líder a Leyenda
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 2.0 2.1 (2007-11-24) Así CD Rankea'o: Otro acierto de Wisin & Yandel (in Spanish), Puerto Rico: Primera Hora.
- 3.0 3.1 Leyra E. González Pérez (2008-06-08). Flash Sin pausa (in Spanish).
- 4.0 4.1 Cristina Fernández and Patricia Vargas (2008-02-24). Flash! Viña del Mar: Entre llegadas y cumpleaños (in Spanish), Puerto Rico: El Nuevo Día.
- Frances Tirado (2008-06-02). Wisin & Yandel sin perder el contacto (Spanish). Primera Hora. Retrieved on 2008-06-04.
- 6.0 6.1 Leyra E. González Pérez (2008-06-09). Flash Tú eres mío (in Spanish), Puerto Rico: El Nuevo Día.
- Lucen los boricuas en Premios Juventud (Spanish). Primera Hora (2008-07-19). Retrieved on 2008-07-22.
- Se juntan los "mostros" (Spanish). Primera Hora (2008-06-03). Retrieved on 2008-06-04.
- Llenan con su "flow" a Venezuela (Spanish). Primera Hora (2008-07-21). Retrieved on 2008-07-22.
- Aixa Sepúlveda Morales (2008-08-05). Mezcla de géneros en una sola tarima (Spanish). Primera Hora. Retrieved on 2008-08-11.
- "Embajadores" de los cayeyanos Wisin & Yandel (Spanish). Primera Hora (2008-08-15). Retrieved on 2008-08-17.
- Brillan los boricuas (Spanish). El Vocero (2009-04-25). Retrieved on 2009-04-25.
- Residente le tira con to' a Fortuño (Spanish). Primera Hora (2009-10-15). Retrieved on 2009-10-16.
- Wisin y Yandel will not tour with JLo & Enrique Iglesias - Terra USA. Music.terra.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-19.
- 15.0 15.1 Marc Ecko and Wisin & Yandel Debut "Los Lideres" Men's Clothing. Latinrapper.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-19.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Wisin & Yandel
- Universal Music Latin Entertainment | Wisin & Yandel
- Wisin & Yandel official website
- Official Twitter @wisinyyandel
|Wisin & Yandel|
|Juan Luis Morera Luna (Wisin) · Llandel Veguilla Malavé Salazar (Yandel)|
|Studio albums||Los Reyes del Nuevo Milenio · De Nuevos a Viejos · De Otra Manera · Mi Vida... My Life · Pa'l Mundo · Wisin vs. Yandel: Los Extraterrestres · La Revolución · Los Vaqueros: El Regreso|
|Compilation albums||2010 Lost Edition · Wisin & Yandel Presentan: WY Records: Lo Mejor De La Compañía|
|Live albums||Tomando Control: Live · La Revolución: Live|
|Collaboration albums||Los Vaqueros · Los Vaqueros Wild Wild Mixes · Wisin & Yandel Presentan: La Mente Maestra|
|Solo albums||El Sobreviviente (Wisin) · Quien Contra Mi (Yandel)|
|Tours||Los Vaqueros: El Regreso World Tour|
|Related articles||Discography · Videography · Collaborations · WY Records|