geboren 1967 in Osaka, Honshu, Japan
Links www.marikodama.com (Englisch)
Mari Kodama (児玉 麻里 Kodama Mari) (born 1967) is a classical pianist who has performed at festivals and other venues in Europe, North America and Japan.
She was born in Osaka, Japan in 1967 and raised in Germany and Paris, France due to her father's postings in these countries as well as Switzerland and England. She and sister Momo, are daughters of a pianist mother and banker father. Their mother gave up performances for teaching and Mari assuming everyone played piano. She wanted to begin play at age 2, but her parents thought she was too young. She was able to read notes by age three. By the age of 10, she had already decided to be a concert pianist deciding not to return to Japan to prepare for university. She studied piano at the Conservatoire de Paris starting at age 14, under Germaine Mounier, and chamber music under Geneviève Joy-Dutilleux and while still a teenager, was performing in various European competitions. She made her Japanese debut in 1984 at age 17 and was immediately a success.
Kodama has performed throughout Europe, the United States, and Japan, and has appeared at venues such as Mostly Mozart, Bard Music Festival, the Hollywood Bowl, California’s Midsummer Mozart Festival, and European festivals such as those in Lockenhaus, Lyon, Montpelier, Salzburg, Aix-en-Provence, Aldeburgh, Verbier, La Roque D’Antheron and Évian.
In 2002, she gave her final performance of the complete Beethoven piano sonata cycle, which she presented over three consecutive seasons in Los Angeles and Pasadena, California.
Kodama is a founding member of chamber music festivals in San Francisco, Sapporo, and Gmunden. She and her husband, conductor Kent Nagano, present Musical Days at Forest Hill, an unusual festival that among all her initiatives has most caught her interest.
- Martinu - Double Concertos. Lawrence Foster, Momo Kodama, Sarah Nemtanu, Deborah Nemtanu, Magali Demesse , Orchestre Philharmonique de Marseille. PENTATONE PTC 5186658 (2018)
- Manuel de Falla - Noches en los jardines de España / El sombrero de tres picos. Kazuki Yamada, Mari Kodama, Sophie Harmsen, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. PENTATONE PTC 5186598 (2017).
- Tchaikovsky - Ballet Suites for Piano Duo. Mari Kodama, Momo Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186579 (2016).
- Beethoven - The Piano Concertos and. Triple Concerto. Mari Kodama (piano), Kolja Blacher (violin), Johannes Moser (cello). Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. Kent Nagano, conductor. Berlin Classics (2015).
- Beethoven - The Complete Piano Sonatas Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186490 (2014).
- Creating Timeless Classics. Works by Robert Schumann, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Johann Sebastian Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Howard Blake. Martin Helmchen, Arabella Steinbacher, Nareh Arghamanyan, Mari Kodama, Julia Fischer, Russian National Orchestra, Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. PENTATONE PTC 5186531 (2014).
- Beethoven Piano Sonatas Op. 101 & Op. 106 “Hammerklavier”. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186391 (2013).
- Beethoven - Triple Concerto; Piano Concerto No. 3. Mari Kodama (piano), Kolja Blacher (violin), Johannes Moser (cello). Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin Kent Nagano, conductor Berlin Classics 300331 (2012)
- Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Nos. 9, 10, 19, 20, 24, 25. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186304 (2010).
- Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Op. 2 Nos. 1, 2 & 3. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186067 (2008).
- Beethoven Piano Sonatas op 10 Nos. 1, 2, & 3. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186377 (2011).
- Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Nos. 16, 17 "Tempest" and 18 "The Hunt". PENTATONE PTC 5186063(2006).
- Beethoven Piano Sonatas Op.109, Op.110, Op.111. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186389 (2012).
- Beethoven Piano Sonatas Op.22, Op.26, Op.27, Op.54. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186390 (2012).
- Beethoven - Piano Sonatas "Moonlight" & "Pathétique" & No.4 Op.7. Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186023 (2004).
- Super Audio CD Sampler. Works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Franz Schmidt, Gustav Mahler. Marco Boni, Hartmut Haenchen, Nikolai Korniev, Yakov Kreizberg, Simon Murphy, Kent Nagano, Bram Beekman, Vesko Eschkenazy, Mari Kodama, Miranda van Kralingen, Nikolai Lugansky, Keisuke Wakao, Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra PENTATONE PTC 5186043 (2003).
- Frédéric Chopin & Carl Loewe - Piano Concertos Mari Kodama, Kent Nagano, Russian National Orchestra. PENTATONE PTC 5186026 (2003).
- Beethoven - Piano Sonatas "Waldstein", "Appassionata" and "Les adieux". Mari Kodama. PENTATONE PTC 5186024 (2003).
- "Mari Kodama, pianist". Colbert Artists Management. March 2012.
- Henken, John (November 21, 1999). "A Magnum of Opuses". Retrieved May 19, 2015.
- "Biography". Mari Kodama. Retrieved May 19, 2015.
- 42 Festival Internacional Cervantino. Mexico: CONACULTA. 2014. p. 45.
- Bill Brownstein (2015-05-22). "The maestro revealed: Kent Nagano marches to his own beat". Montreal Gzzette. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Bill Brownstein (2017-04-01). "From musical star to medical student: Karin Kei Nagano takes her cue from her parents". Montreal Gzzette. Retrieved 2017-06-28.