geboren am 21.3.1957 in Darlington, North East England, Grossbritannien
John Whitfield (conductor)
John Whitfield (born 21 March 1957) is a British musician and conductor from Darlington, England. Whitfield was educated at Chetham's School of Music and Keble College, Oxford.
In 1980 Whitfield was one of the founding members of the ensemble Endymion, which he has conducted at venues around the world. The ensemble is noted for its performances of modern classical music, particularly by British composers.
As a conductor he has toured for Arts Council Contemporary Music Network and performed at state occasions for Queen Elizabeth II, given numerous broadcasts and recordings for BBC radio 3, BBC 2 television, and ITV, and made recordings for EMI of Britten and Stravinsky.
He has conducted first performances and commissioned works from amongst others Harrison Birtwistle, Dominic Muldowney, Michael Nyman, Nigel Osborne, Giles Swayne, Judith Weir, and Mark Anthony Turnage.
Whitfield won several awards during his time playing the bassoon with the National Youth Orchestra. Before leaving Oxford he was invited in 1978 by Lillian Hochhauser to audition for Rudolph Barshai who immediately offered him the post of first bassoon with the Israel Chamber Orchestra.
He has also edited performing editions of operas for the Royal Opera House and the English National Opera, and four Franz Lehár operettas for publication by Weinberger. Ralph Vaughan Williams Limited has recently given permission for the publication of his arrangement for wind instruments of Williamss Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.
- Dumbarton Oaks - EMI (1988); conducting Endymion; music of Igor Stravinsky.
- Lichtbogen - Finlandia FACD-361 (1989); conducting Endymion; music of Kaija Saariaho.
- Phaedra/Les Illuminations - EMI (1995); conducting Endymion; music of Benjamin Britten.
- Worshipful Company of Musicians Arthur Bulgin Medal
- National Youth Orchestra Lloyds Bank Award
- Silver Medal, Shell/London Symphony Orchestra Competition
- Endymion It appears from the site that Whitfield has not worked with Endymion since at least 2003.
- Whitfield's listing at the Musician's Answering Service site
Dieser Artikel basiert auf dem Artikel John Whitfield (conductor) aus der freien Enzyklopädie Wikipedia und steht unter der GNU-Lizenz für freie Dokumentation.
In der Wikipedia ist eine Liste der Autoren verfügbar.