born on 4/12/1947 in New York City, NY, United States
Links www.andylaverne.com (English)
Andy LaVerne (born December 4, 1947) is an American jazz pianist, composer, and arranger. He is a prolific recording artist and as a jazz educator has produced many instructional guides.
Education and musical career
Born in New York City, LaVerne studied at Juilliard School of Music, Berklee College, and the New England Conservatory, and took private lessons from jazz pianist Bill Evans. LaVerne has worked with Frank Sinatra, Stan Getz, Woody Herman, Dizzy Gillespie, Chick Corea, Lionel Hampton, Michael Brecker and Elvin Jones.
LaVerne is a prominent jazz educator, having released a series of instructional videos, Guide to Modern Jazz Piano, Vols. 1 &, 2, and Jazz Piano Standards (Homespun Tapes), featuring the Yamaha Disklavier, as well as the video, In Concert (Homespun Tapes), with guitarist John Abercrombie.
He is the author of Handbook of Chord Substitutions, Tons of Runs (Ekay), Bill Evans Compositions 19 Solo Piano Arrangements, and is the pianist on The Chick Corea Play-Along Collection (Hal Leonard). The Music of Andy LaVerne (SteepleChase Publications) has been published. Countdown to Giant Steps (Aebersold Jazz) is a two-CD play-along companion book, of which LaVerne served as player/producer/writer, and Tunes You Thought You Knew (Aebersold Jazz) is a LaVerne play-along CD/book set. Secret of the Andes is collection of LaVerne originals published by Aebersold Jazz.
He is a frequent contributor (since 1986) to Keyboard magazine, and Piano Today magazine. His articles have also appeared in Down Beat, Jazz Improv, Piano Quarterly, Jazz and Keyboard Workshop, and JazzOne.
He is the recipient of five Jazz Fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and winner of the 2000 John Lennon Songwriting Contest for his tune "Shania". He has appeared at concerts, festivals, and clubs throughout the world, and has given clinics and master classes at universities, colleges, and conservatories worldwide. He has also toured and recorded with singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka. He is Professor of Jazz Piano at The Hartt School (University of Hartford), and on the faculty of the Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops.
- Mythology (International Phonograph)
- The Spirit of '76 (Four Star, 1976)
- Another World (SteepleChase, 1977)
- For Us (SteepleChase, 1978) with Mike Richmond
- Captain Video with Bob Magnusson and Shelly Manne (Atlas, 1981)
- Liquid Silver (DMP, 1984)
- Andy LaVerne Plays the Music of Chick Corea (Jazzline, 1986)
- Jazz Piano Lineage (DMP, 1988)
- Frozen Music (SteepleChase, 1989)
- Fountainhead with Dave Samuels (SteepleChase, 1989)
- Magic Fingers with Chuck Loeb (DMP, 1989)
- Natural Living with John Abercrombie (Musidisc, 1989)
- Severe Clear (SteepleChase, 1990)
- Standard Eyes (SteepleChase, 1990)
- Pleasure Seekers with John Patitucci, Bob Sheppard, Dave Weckl (Triloka, 1991)
- Nosmo King with John Abercrombie (SteepleChase, 1991)
- Bill Evans...Person We Knew with Larry Schneider(SteepleChase, 1992)
- Now It Can Be Played with John Abercrombie (SteepleChase, 1992)
- Buy One Get One Free (SteepleChase, 1992)
- Double Standard (Triloka, 1993)
- Andy LaVerne at Maybeck (Concord Jazz, 1993)
- Glass Ceiling with Anton Fig, Steve LaSpina, 1993
- Universal Mind with Richie Beirach, 1993
- Spirit of '76 with Jerry Bergonzi, Jeff Brillinger, Mike Richmond, Bill Washer, 1994
- Time Well Spent with Al Foster, George Mraz, 1994
- In the Mood for a Classic, Soloalbum, 1994
- Serenade to Silver with Billy Drummond, Tim Hagans, Steve LaSpina, Rick Margitza, 1994
- Tadd's Delight, Soloalbum, 1995
- First Tango in New York with Steve LaSpina, Joe Lovano, Bill Stewart, 1995
- Bud's Beautiful with Billy Hart, Peter Washington, 1996
- Where We Were [live] with John Abercrombie, 1996
- Four Miles with Randy Brecker, Al Foster, George Mraz, 1997
- Stan Getz in Chappaqua with Don Braden, Danny Gottlieb, Steve LaSpina, Dave Stryker, 1997
- Between Earth & Mars with Dave Samuels, Jay Anderson, 1998
- Time, 2000
- Know More with Jay Anderson, Billy Hart, 2001
- True Colors, 2001
- Pianissimo with Jay Anderson, Rich Perry, Matt Wilson, 2002
- Epiphany, 2004
- Process of Illumination, 2004
- All Ways, 2005
- Peace of Mind, 2006
- Time to Dream, 2006
- Intelligent Design with Danny Gottlieb, Gary Versace, 2007
- Andy Laverne's One of a Kind: At The Kitano, Vol. 1, 2009
With Ted Curson
- Jubilant Power (Inner City, 1976)
With Stan Getz
- Another World (Columbia, 1977)
- Mort d'un Pourri (Melba, 1977)
- Children of the World (Columbia, 1979)
- Gene Rizzo (2005). The Fifty Greatest Jazz Piano Players of All Time: Ranking, Analysis & Photos. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 220. ISBN 978-0-634-07416-5.
- Jazz.com interview Archived October 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- William Ruhlmann, review of Neil Sedaka, Tales of Love and Other Passions (1997), All Music.
- Neil Sedaka biography. Archived August 10, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- JazzTimes, Inc. (September 1999). JazzTimes. JazzTimes, Inc. pp. 18–. ISSN 0272-572X.