born on 27/12/1950 in San Francisco, CA, United States
Links terrybozzio.com (English)
Terry John Bozzio (born December 27, 1950) is an American drummer best known for his work with Missing Persons and Frank Zappa. He has been featured on nine solo or collaborative albums, 26 albums with Zappa, and seven albums with Missing Persons. He has been a prolific sideman, playing on numerous releases by other artists since the mid-1970s. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 1997. His stepdaughter, Marina, is also a drummer and a member of the heavy metal band Aldious, and his son Raanen is also a drummer.
Terry Bozzio was born on December 27, 1950, in San Francisco, California. He started at age 6 playing makeshift drum sets. At the age of 13 he saw the Beatles' premier performance on The Ed Sullivan Show and begged his father for drum lessons. Bozzio has cited Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker as his main influences in the youth years. During the 1960s, he played in the garage bands Blue Grass Radio, The Yarde, and Tamalpais Jungle Mountain Boys.
In 1968 Bozzio attended Sir Francis Drake High School in San Anselmo, California, where he received a music scholarship award, and later went on to the College of Marin. During this time he studied concurrently with Chuck Brown on the drum set and Lloyd Davis and Roland Kohloff on a percussion and timpani scholarship. He also played Bartok-Dahl-Cowell & Baroque chamber ensembles with the Marin and Napa County Symphonies.
In 1972 Bozzio played in the rock musicals Godspell and Walking in my Time. He also began playing in local jazz groups with Mark Isham, Peter Maunu, Patrick O'Hearn, Mike Nock, Art Lande, Azteca, Eddie Henderson, Woody Shaw, Julian Priester, Eric Gravatt, Billy Higgins, Andy Narell, Hadley Calliman, Mel Graves, and Mel Martin. He became a regular in the Monday Night Jim Dukey Big Band at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall.
He recorded and toured with Frank Zappa beginning in 1975, and appeared, also as a vocalist, on a number of Zappa's most successful albums, including Zoot Allures (1976), Zappa in New York (1976), Sheik Yerbouti (1979) and Thing-Fish (1984), and in the concert movie Baby Snakes (1979) (which includes him singing lead on a portion of the song "Punky's Whips"). He is noted for performing Zappa's "The Black Page", a piece of music designed to be a "musician's nightmare", a page so dense with notes it was nearly solid black.
In 1977 he joined The Brecker Brothers with longtime San Francisco friend and guitarist Barry Finnerty. With The Brecker Brothers, Bozzio toured and recorded the live album Heavy Metal Be-Bop (1978). Shortly after, he was dismissed by Zappa as he joined Group 87 with Mark Isham, Peter Maunu, Patrick O'Hearn and Peter Wolf. The group auditioned for and was signed to a record deal with CBS; Bozzio declined membership in the group and then auditioned unsuccessfully for Thin Lizzy.
After Bill Bruford & Allan Holdsworth's departures from the band UK in late 1978, Bozzio joined Eddie Jobson and John Wetton to continue UK as a trio. The trio recorded Danger Money (1979) and a live album Night After Night (1979) and toured the U.S. and Canada twice (supporting the popular progressive rock band Jethro Tull), and in Europe and Japan.
After UK disbanded in early 1980, Bozzio, ex-Zappa guitarist Warren Cuccurullo and then-wife and vocalist Dale Bozzio founded the band Missing Persons. Missing Persons released the albums Spring Session M (which went Gold), Rhyme & Reason, and Color in Your Life. Missing Persons also toured the U.S. & Europe and often appeared on TV and radio.
After the Missing Persons breakup in 1986, Bozzio joined ex-Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor's solo band. He also played on sessions with Robbie Robertson, Gary Wright, Don Dokken, XYZ, Paul Hyde, Herbie Hancock, Dweezil Zappa, and Richard Marx. During this time he began touring as a clinician/solo drummer and recorded Solo Drums, which was his first instructional video for Warner Brothers. Bozzio joined Mick Jagger and Jeff Beck for the video "Throwaway", and teamed up with Beck and keyboardist Tony Hymas to co-write/produce and perform on the Grammy Award winning album Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop. promoted on The Arsenio Hall Show, which was Jeff Beck's first-ever live appearance on American TV.
In 1990–1995 Terry developed ostinato-based drum solo compositions and recorded his second instructional video Melodic Drumming and the Ostinato Volumes 1, 2, and 3, as well as Solo Drum Music Volumes 1 & 2 on CD. He also joined Tony Hymas, Tony Coe, and Hugh Burns to form the band Lonely Bears and record The Lonely Bears, Injustice, and The Bears are Running, while living in Paris, France. He also formed the band Polytown with David Torn and Mick Karn. In 1993 Terry joined T. M. Stevens and Devin Townsend on Steve Vai's Sex & Religion album.
From 1995 to 2002 Bozzio did tours of the US, Australia, Canada & Europe as a solo drum artist as well as recording two solo CDs: Drawing the Circle and Chamberworks. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 1997. With bassist and Chapman Stick player Tony Levin and guitarist Steve Stevens, he formed the group Bozzio Levin Stevens, which released two albums: Black Light Syndrome in 1997, and Situation Dangerous in 2000.
In 2001, he teamed up with Chad Wackerman to produce the Duets video and Alternative Duets CDs. Bozzio won the Clinician of the Year award twice as well as Drum Magazine's Drummer of the Year and Best Clinician. Internationally, he received Slagwerkkrant Magazine's (Netherlands) and Player Magazine's (Japan) Best Drummer Award.
Bozzio also worked with the nu metal band Korn on their 8th studio album after the departure of their drummer David Silveria. He was scheduled to play on the road with the band during the Family Values Tour, but he left and was replaced by Joey Jordison of Slipknot and later Ray Luzier. Since November 2008 Bozzio has toured with guitarist Allan Holdsworth, bassist Tony Levin, and drummer Pat Mastelotto as the experimental super-group HoBoLeMa.
- 2/14: Moves to L.A. to work full-time
- 4/23 Interview for Cover Story “Traps” magazine.
- 5/7: Clinic West L.A. Music.
- 7/13 through 7/19 Solo Performances at PMT Drumfest in UK.
- 10/3 through 10/16 Buddy Rich Memorial Concert Rehearsals.
- 10/17 & 10/18: Performs w/ Efrain Toro at Buddy Rich Memorial Concert NYC, w/ Neil Peart, Chad Smith, John Blackwell, Nick Rich, Will Lee (1st live stream for www.drumchannel.com, & filmed for DVD).
- 10/19 through 11/2 Sabian Clinic Tour US.
- 11/7 Moves possessions & percussion from Austin to L.A.
- 11/16 through 29 Special Guests Tour of Japan w/ Billy Cobham, Tom Coster, Akira Jimbo, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto & Allan Holdsworth
- 1/25 Drum Magazine Festival Japan, Solo Performance.
- 4/25 Duo Performance w/ pianist Febian Resa Pana at STB-139 Tokyo, Japan.
- 4/26 through 5/2 Solo Performance Tour, Japan.
- 6/8 Marries Mayumi Bozzio, in Ventura, California. Release of Buddy Rich Memorial DVD & Evolution of Tony Royster Jr. DVD (w/Performances by Terry Bozzio & Dennis Chambers ).
- 6/16 Starts hosting his own show: “The Art of Drumming” (streaming live show on www.drumchanel.com, Tuesdays@ 6pm PST) with one on one guest interviews & playing.
- 8/16 Solo Performance, Zappanale Festival, Bad Doberan, Germany.
- 8/19 Solo Performance, Paradiso, Amsterdam. Release of The Drummers of Frank Zappa DVD (Roundtable Discussion & Jam w/ Ruth Underwood, Chester Thompson, Ralph Humphrey, Chad Wackerman & Terry Bozzio.
- 9/19 Solo Performance, Explorer’s Percussion Anniversary, w/Danny Carey & Alok Dutta. 9/26 Solo & Trio Performance @ Drum Summit, Bonn, Germany w/Michael Reissler & Vincent Courtois. 1st Solo Performance in Opole, Poland.
- 10/20 Clinic Drummer’s Choice, Toronto
- 11/6 through 11/21 Japan Tour w/ Efrain Toro & Chad Wackerman.
- 12/28 Art of Drumming w/ Peter Erskine.
West Coast Tour - w/Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto & Allan Holdsworth. NAMM performance Sabian Live w/Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto & David Torn European Tour- Bozzio/Holdsworth/Levin/Mastelotto (HoBoLeMa). Bozzio Celebrates 60th Birthday.
- March 24/25: - Reunion of outTrio at the Baked Potato
- Mick Mars @ DC, working towards Mick’s possible future solo album. Bozzio w/ Mark Isham, Jeff Babko & Doug Lunn @ South Pasadena Eclectic Music Fest.
- May 7: OutTrio perform at the Iridium in NYC sell out 3 nights & the Regatta Bar in Boston. Headlines DRUM Mag’s DRUM NIGHT FESTIVAL, San Jose, California
Terry Receives Guitar Center’s “Drum Legends” Award w/ Kiss’ Peter Criss & Performs w/ outTrio at Club Nokia L.A. Solo Performance Club Citta, Kawasaki, Japan. Alex Acuna /Terry Bozzio Percussion Duo at Baked Potato. Japan Tour: Osaka, Nagoya & Rhythm & Drums Festival in Tokyo Euro Tour & 2 shows w/ Tony Levin’s Stickmen @ Frankfurt Jazz & Opole Drum Festival Week, Poland. UK have recently reformed with John Wetton, Eddie Jobson and Terry Bozzio for a world tour in 2012.
Tours Mid West w/ Tom Shelley on Perc. (Tom is also the head of Universal Percussion who make ATTACK TB Signature Drum Heads). UK ( Bozzio / Wetton/ Jobson/ Machacek ) cruise, Miami & Panama. Sweetwater gear fest solo performance/ jam w/ Billy Sheehan. 2nd sold out Solo European tour
- 50th Anniversary of 1st drum lesson on 7/15/1964
- Solo show @ stb139, Tokyo, Japan.
- Scenefour art & sketch project *The Brecker Brothers Heavy Metal BeBop Band Reunion European Tour.
- 1st Public North American Solo Tour (41concerts) & West Japan Solo Tour. The Brecker Brothers Heavy Metal BeBop Band Reunion Japan Tour at Club Citta, Kawasaki Jazz Fest.
Bozzio Signs Solo Record Deal Contract with Japanese Record Co: Ward Records, to release “Terry Bozzio Composer Series".
- Solo Drum Music I (1992)
- Solo Drum Music II (1992)
- Drawing the Circle (1998)
- Chamber Works (1998)
- Solos & Duets (with Chad Wackerman) (2001)
- Nine Short Films (with Billy Sheehan) (2002)
- Chamber Works (2005, with Metropole Orchestra)
- Prime Cuts (2005)
- Four from Ten Twenty Nine (2008)
- Seven Nights in Japan (2008)
- Melodic Drumming & the Ostinato v.1. 2. 3. DVD' (2011)
- Terry Bozzio Live Performance & Seminar 2 Disc DVD (rec. 2003) (2011)
- Terry Bozzio Live in Japan 2007 菩慈音 (2012)
- Musical Solo Drumming DVD English w/ Japanese subtitles (2012)
- Terry Bozzio - Composer Series / 4CD + Blu-ray + Blu-ray (Audio-only) + Bonus DVD (2015)
- Bongo Fury (October 1975), US No. 66
- Zoot Allures (October 1976), US No. 71
- Zappa in New York (March 1977), US No. 57
- Studio Tan (1978)
- Sleep Dirt (January 1979), US No. 175
- Sheik Yerbouti (March 1979), US No. 21
- Joe's Garage (September 1979), US No. 27 (vocals only)
- Orchestral Favorites (1979)
- Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar (May 1981)
- Baby Snakes (March 1983)
- Thing-Fish (November 1984)
- You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 (May 1988)
- You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 3 (November 1989)
- You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 (July 1991)
- You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 5 (July 1992)
- You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 6 (July 1992)
- Läther (September 1996)
- Frank Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa: A Memorial Tribute (October 1996)
- The Lost Episodes (1996)
- FZ:OZ (August 2002)
- QuAUDIOPHILIAc (September 2004)
- Trance-Fusion (October 2006)
- One Shot Deal (June 2008)
- Joe's Menage (October 2008)
- Philly '76 (December 2009)
- Hammersmith Odeon (November 2010)
- Missing Persons EP (1980) No. 46 US
- Spring Session M (1982) No. 17 US
- Rhyme & Reason (1984) No. 43 US
- Color in Your Life (1986) No. 88 US
- Late Nights Early Days (1999)
- Lost Tracks (2002)
- Danger Money (1979) (Replaced Bill Bruford)
- Night After Night (1979, Live)
- Back to the Beach Soundtrack (Wipe Out) with Herbie Hancock (1987)
- My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (1988)
- Shampoohorn (1994)
- Automatic (2000)
- 1974: Born to Love You Luis Gasca
- 1977: Deceptive Bends 10cc
- 1978: Heavy Metal Be-Bop Brecker Brothers
- 1980: Group 87 Group 87
- Andy Taylor Andy Taylor (1986)
- 1987: Robbie Robertson Robbie Robertson
- 1988: Castalia Mark Isham
- 1988: Rivers Gonna Rise Patrick O'Hearn
- 1988: Who I Am Gary Wright
- 1989: Def, Dumb and Blonde Deborah Harry
- 1989: El Dorado Patrick O'Hearn
- 1989: How Long Michael Thompson
- 1989: Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop Jeff Beck & Tony Hymas
- 1989: Twins Soundtrack Jeff Beck
- 1990: Girlfriend from Hell Jorgenson
- 1990: Mark Isham Mark Isham
- 1991: Beckology Jeff Beck
- 1991: In Your Face Earl Slick
- 1991: Rush Street Richard Marx
- 1992: Retrograde Planet Zazen
- 1992: Vol. Pour Sydney Lonely Bears
- White Sands Soundtrack Patrick O'Hearn
- 1993: Sex and Religion Steve Vai
- 1994: Big Bang: In the Beginning Was a Drum Compilation
- 1994: Hide Your Face hide
- 1994: Polytown Polytown
- 1995: First Signs of Life Gary Wright
- 1995: Thank You Duran Duran
- 1995: Trust Patrick O'Hearn
- 1997: Black Light Syndrome Bozzio Levin Stevens
- 1997: Dream Castles Sly
- 1997: Something with a Pulse Mark Craney & Friends
- 1998: Age of Impact Explorer's Club
- 1998: Best of the Lonely Bears Lonely Bears
- 1998: Proof: The Very Best of the Knack The Knack
- 1998: Zoom The Knack
- 1999: Lonely Bears Lonely Bears
- 2000: Injustice Lonely Bears
- 2000: Situation Dangerous Bozzio Levin Stevens
- 2000: The Bears are Running Lonely Bears
- 2001: Compression Billy Sheehan
- 2001: Feeding the Wheel Jordan Rudess
- 2001: XYZ XYZ
- 2002: Big Delta Omar & The Howlers
- 2002: Delete & Roll Bozzio Preinfalk & Machacek (BPM)
- 2002: Queen of the Damned Soundtrack Jonathan Davis, Richard Gibbs
- 2002: Raising the Mammoth The Explorers Club
- 2003: Bozzio – Mastelotto with Pat Mastelotto
- 2004: Alamo Soundtrack Carter Burwell
- 2004: Boogie Man Omar & The Howlers
- 2004: Drum Nation, Vol. 1 Various Artists
- 2005: Two Sides of If Vivian Campbell
- 2006: Sic Alex Machacek
- 2007: Untitled Korn
- 2008: Live with the Tosca Strings DVD (2008)
- 2012: Efrainization Terry Bozzio/Alex Acuna/Efrain Toro DVD
- "Group 87 CD Album". Cduniverse.com. November 21, 2000. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- Prato, Greg (December 27, 1950). "Terry Bozzio". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- "Modern Drummer's Readers Poll Archive, 1979–2014". Modern Drummer. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "【ライブレポート】アルディアス、ニューアルバムのリリースを発表". barks.jp (in Japanese). 2015-10-13. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Drummerworld Bio". Drummerworld.com. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- "Terry Bozzio - An interview with the world class drummer who has worked with Frank Zappa, Missing Persons and many others". musicguy247.typepad.com. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Guitar Center's Hollywood Rockwalk". Rockwalk.com. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- "UK reunion 2012". Archived from the original on July 12, 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "The Drum Gods – 25 Legendary Talents Who Changed Drumming" / Modern Drummer Publications (Terry Bozzio is one of the 25 drummers profiled)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terry Bozzio.|
- Terry Bozzio – Official site
- Terry Bozzio – Official Facebook
- Terry Bozzio - OfficialYouTube
- Terry Bozzio - Official Twitter
- Terry Bozzio on Drum Channel
- Terry Bozzio : Sabian Cymbals – Artist Set-up
- Drum Workshop site, artists section : Contains an illustration of Terry Bozzio and other drummers' drum kits
- Terry Bozzio's Discography and Equipment List at BehindTheDrums
- Career Retrospective Interview from January 2016 with Pods & Sods