Ray Wylie Hubbard
born on 13/11/1946 in Soper, OK, United States
Links www.raywylie.com (English)
Ray Wylie Hubbard
|Ray Wylie Hubbard|
Ray Wylie Hubbard (born November 13, 1946 in Soper, Oklahoma) is a Texas Country singer and songwriter.
Hubbard grew up in town of Hugo, Oklahoma. His family moved to Oak Cliff in south Dallas, Texas in 1954. He attended W. H. Adamson High School with Michael Martin Murphey, who had his own band at the time. Hubbard graduated in 1965 and enrolled in college, at the University of North Texas, as an English major. He spent the summers in Red River, New Mexico playing folk music.
During his time in New Mexico, Hubbard wrote "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother", made famous by Jerry Jeff Walker's 1973 recording. Hubbard recorded for various labels but struggled with sales; his mix of country, folk and blues elements didnt find an audience. After leaving the scene and struggling with personal problems, he returned to recording with Lost Train of Thought in 1992 and Loco Gringo's Lament in 1994.
Today Ray Wylie Hubbard is an elder statesman of the Texas music scene. From New Braunfels, Texas, Hubbard hosts a Tuesday night radio show called "Roots & Branches". This program promotes new and established Americana artists. Like some other performers in his genre, he is perhaps as popular in Europe as in the USHubbard has been invited by record companies in the Netherlands to produce albums. His most recent recordings have been produced by Texas guitarist Gurf Morlix.
- 1971 - Three Faces West (Outpost)
- 1975 - Ray Wylie Hubbard & The Cowboy Twinkies (Reprise)
- 1978 - Off The Wall (Lonestar)
- 1980 - Something About The Night (Renegade)
- 1984 - Caught In The Act (Misery Loves Company)
- 1992 - Lost Train Of Thought (Misery Loves Company)
- 1994 - Loco Gringo's Lament (Dejadisc)
- 1997 - Dangerous Spirits (Philo)
- 1999 - Crusades Of The Restless Knights (Philo)
- 2000 - Live At Cibolo Creek Country Club (Philo)
- 2001 - Eternal And Lowdown (Philo)
- 2003 - Growl (Philo)
- 2005 - Delirium Tremolos (Philo)
- 2006 - Snake Farm (Sustain)
- 2010 - A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There is No C) (Bordello)
- 2012 - The Grifter's Hymnal (Bordello)
- Folk Music Club
- Erlewine, Michael (1997-07-01). All Music Guide to Country: The Experts' Guide to the Best Recordings in Country Music, p. 221, Hal Leonard Corporation. URL accessed 6 May 2012.
- RayWylie.com - Official website
- The Resurrection of Ray Wylie Hubbard: The Turnstyled Junkpiled Interview
- Official MySpace page
-  - A Country Music Outlaw, Resurrected
-  - Hubbard's Path: 'Redneck Mother' to 'Wylie Lama'