born on 4/1/1963 in Paris, Île-de-France, France
Thomas Fersen (born 4 January 1963 in Paris) is a French singer-songwriter.
During his childhood, he was part of a punk group before playing the piano in café-theatres. He released his first album in 1993; it gave him immediate name recognition.
Fersen is an accomplished poet who regularly plays with language, using puns, rich rhymes, symbols and images taken from the realms of plants (vegetables and fruits) and animals (birds and various beasts) to tell stories or original fables, to recreate moments from daily life, impressions and sentiments, and also the dreams of ordinary people and their failings and faults. His deep and gravelly smoker's voice gives a particular tone to his songs, which belong to different musical styles depending on the album (rock, folk-rock or jazz and blues).
The stage name "Thomas Fersen" comes from the names of Thomas Boyd, a Scottish footballer, and Hans-Axel de Fersen, Marie-Antoinette's Swedish lover.
He was one of the first singers to join the label Tôt ou tard.
- 1993 Le Bal des oiseaux (The Ball of the Birds)
- 1995 Les Ronds de carotte (The Slices of Carrot)
- 1997 Le Jour du poisson (The Day of the Fish)
- 1999 Qu4tre (Four)
- 2001 Triplex (triple album live)
- 2003 Pièce montée des grands jours (Pièce montée for the Great Days)
- 2004 La Cigale des grands jours (La Cigale in the Great Days) (public recording at La Cigale; a DVD of the concert also exists)
- 2005 Le Pavillon des fous (The Insane Asylum)
- 2007 Gratte-moi la puce Best of de poche (Scratch My Fleas Best Of The Worst )
- 2008 Trois petits tours (Three Times Round)
- 2011 Je suis au paradis (I am in heaven)
- 2013 - Thomas Fersen & The Ginger Accident
Other musical involvement
- 2005 on the Plutôt tôt Plutôt tard album by duos from the Tôt ou tard label, the songs "Escobar" with JP Nataf, "Le bouton" with Bumcello, and "La barmaid" with Jeanne Cherhal
- 2006 Cover of "Sacré géranium" by Dick Annegarn on the compilation Le Grand Dîner
- (French) Fersen Makes His Scene (unofficial site)
- (French) Fersen on the site of the label Tôt ou tard