born on 6/10/1954 in Los Angeles, CA, United States
Links www.loslobos.org (English)
David Kent Hidalgo (born October 6, 1954, in Los Angeles, California) is an American singer-songwriter, best known for his work with the band Los Lobos. He is also a member of the supergroup Los Super Seven and of the Latin Playboys, a side project band made up of some of the members of Los Lobos. He formed another side project band with Mike Halby of Canned Heat, called Houndog. Most recently, he appeared on national television in the US backing Tom Waits.
Hidalgo's songs have been covered by the Jerry Garcia Band, Waylon Jennings, Bonnie Raitt and others. He has performed in Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival since its inception in 2004, most recently in April 2013 at Madison Square Garden with Los Lobos. Eric Clapton joined the band on stage for their song "Burn It Down" off of their latest album, Tin Can Trust. His son, David Hidalgo, Jr. is the current drummer for Social Distortion.
In addition to his work with Los Lobos, Hidalgo frequently plays musical instruments such as accordion, violin, 6-string banjo, cello, requinto jarocho, percussion, drums and guitar as a session musician on other artists' releases.
- Buckwheat Zydeco (multiple projects),
- T-Bone Burnett (self titled 1986 album),
- Peter Case (The Man with the Blue Post Modern Fragmented Neo-Traditionalist Guitar),
- Elvis Costello (harmony vocal on King of America, guitar and harmony vocal on Momofuku),
- Crowded House (multiple projects),
- John Lee Hooker (multiple projects),
- Roy Orbison (King of Hearts),
- Willy DeVille (Backstreets of Desire, Crow Jane Alley)
- Ozomatli (multiple projects),
- Dolly Parton (Treasures),
- Pierce Pettis (Chase the Buffalo),
- Paul Simon (Graceland),
- Marc Ribot (Border Music)
- Tonio K. (Olé),
- Suzanne Vega (99.9°F),
- Tom Waits (multiple projects),
- The 1994 tribute to songwriter Mark Heard, Strong Hand of Love,
- Leo Kottke album Try And Stop Me
- Gov't Mule (Politician) (guitar and vocals), on The Deepest End, Live in Concert
- Bob Dylan (Accordion on Together Through Life and Christmas In The Heart, guitar, accordion, violin on Tempest)
- G. Love & Special Sauce (Viola on "Missing My Baby")
- Los Cenzontles (co producer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist) Songs of Wood & Steel
- Taj Mahal & Los Cenzontles (co producer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist) "American Horizon"
|1990||"Hey Good Lookin'" (with Buckwheat Zydeco and Dwight Yoakam)|
- [David Hidalgo at All Music Guide David Hidalgo, Allmusic.com]
- Los Lobos Official website
- David Hidalgo Last.fm music
- Fiesta Latina In Pictures