born on 30/11/1980 in Berlin, Germany
Paul Hartmut Würdig
Links www.sido.de (German)
Paul Hartmut Würdig (born 30 November 1980), better known as Sido, is a German rapper. The name "Sido" is an abbreviation which stands for "superintelligentes Drogenopfer" ("super intelligent drug victim") or "Scheiße in dein Ohr" ("shit in your ear") in earlier times.
Würdig distinguishes himself by using provocative and aggressive lyrics. After his breakthrough with his debut album Maske in 2004, Würdig was often seen wearing a silver skull mask until 2008. Since then he made no use of the mask anymore and, as he has stated in various interviews, handed it to his former boss Specter.
Würdig's career began in 1997, as one half of duo Royal TS (now A.i.d.S), with B-Tight and both got later signed to Berlin hip hop label Royal Bunker and then to Aggro Berlin in 2001.
Paul Würdig was born to a German father and a Sinti mother. Würdig stated in an interview with the radio station BigFM that he's one-eighth Irani. Sido and his younger sister were brought up by their mother in East Berlin. In 1988, the family moved to West Berlin, where they first lived in emergency accommodation in Wedding along with many asylum seekers. They then moved into Märkisches Viertel, a high-rise residential area in the Berlin borough of Reinickendorf. During his childhood and youth, Märkisches Viertel had a high proportion of migrants and low-income families. He attended the Bettina-von-Arnim-Oberschule there and afterwards started an apprenticeship as an educator, which he cancelled after some time.
1997-2002: Early career
Sido has been active in the music business since 1997. Together with his best friend B-Tight he released several EPs and demos under the name Royal TS, which were never officially published, at the Berlin underground hip hop label Royal Bunker. At a concert the duo got the attention of Halil, Specter and Spaiche, who decided to form a label and sign both rappers as the label's first artists.
2003-2004: First successes and Maske
Sido's solo career began 2002 with the "Arschficksong" ("Assfucksong") on the sampler Aggro Ansage Nr. 1 and the "Weihnachtssong" ("Chrismas song") on Aggro Ansage Nr. 3.
In 2004, Sido's debut album Maske was released, which reached #3 on the German charts and sold more than 180,000 copies to this day. The album achieved gold status. The lead single "Mein Block" reached #13 on the German charts, the second single "Fuffies im Club" reached #18 and the third single "Mama ist stolz" reached #25. The original album was indexed because of the song "Endlich Wochende" ("Finally weekend"), which glorifies the use of drugs according to the BPjM. The album was rereleased under the name "Maske X" with the song "Arschficksong" in replacement of "Endlich Wochenende". The song was also published (with the video slightly censored), for the first time as a single.
In September of the same year, he won a prestigious German music award for "Best Newcomer." The best-known song from that album, "Mein Block", describes life in the Märkisches Viertel, a low-income neighborhood of Berlin from a resident's perspective, detailing the narcotics trade, alcoholism, problems with police, and poverty in Sido's Block, or building.
2005-2006: Other projects and Ich
After this debut album, he released together with his Label colleagues B-Tight and Fler, two label samplers: Aggro Ansage Nr. 4 and Aggro Ansage Nr. 5 (which featured the new label artists Tony D and G-Hot).
Later he collaborated with rapper Harris, as the rap duo Deine Lieblings Rapper ("Your favourite rappers"). In 2005, they released their debut album Dein Lieblings Album ("Your favourite album"), with the only single "Steh wieder auf".
In December 2006, Sido released his second album Ich, which reached #4 on the German album charts. Three singles: "Strassenjunge", "Ein Teil von mir" and "Schlechtes Vorbild" were released. The album achieved gold status.
2007 Sido and B-Tight (alias A.i.d.S. (=Alles ist di.e. Sekte, engl. Everything is the sect)) formed their label Sektenmuzik and a own rap-crew named Die Sekte (with Rhymin Simon and Vokalmatador). Tony D later joined in.
2008: Ich und meine Maske and Popstars
His third album Ich und meine Maske was released at the end of May 2008. It reached #1 on the German album charts. Also the singles "Augen auf"/Halt dein Maul", "Carmen", "Herz", "Nein!" and "Beweg dein Arsch" were successful in the charts.
On August 2008, Sido joined the seventh season of Popstars, called "Just 4 Girls", as a jury member, along with Detlef D! Soost and Loona. Many people were surprised, wondering why Sido, the Aggro-rapper with his provocative and aggressive lyrics, would join a TV show like Popstars? At the end of Popstars the band Queensberry was formed.
2009: Aggro Berlin
On April, 1st 2009 the label Aggro Berlin was closed. Sido then was signed up by Urban Records, a division of Universal Music Germany.
On October, 30th 2009 Sido released his fourth studio album Aggro Berlin. The lead single "Hey du!" ranked #4 in the German Charts. In the song Sido tells the truth of his childhood in the GDR and then in West Berlin. He reported that he had made a long secret of his East Berlin origin, because didn't want to be teased by his mates.
Würdig has a son, whose name and date of birth are not known publicly, but he referenced him in some songs, including "Aggro Gold", "Ein Teil von mir" and "2010".
He began dating former Nu Pagadi lead singer Doreen Steinert in mid-2005 and on 14 February 2010 they were engaged.
Würdig is a second cousin of German DSDS participant Menowin Fröhlich.
The perceived rebellious tendencies of Sido's label affiliates B-Tight, Fler, and G-Hot, whose persona emphasize embittered racial or class standpoints, have garnered additional discussion in widely-circulated publications.
MTV HipHop Open
July 2004, Sido performend live in Stuttgart for the festival MTV HipHop Open. During his performances he insulted Frankfurt rapper Azad's mother saying: "If we had a bed right here, I'd bang Azad's mother". A week later Sido and Azad met each other backstage and after a short dispute it escalated into a brawl that involved the artists of Aggro Berlin and Bozz Music. The security and the police arrived to stop the conflict, but Azad and his crew had fled already.
Feud with ersguterjunge
- Main article: Aggro Berlin vs. Ersguterjunge feud
- Main article: Sido discography
Awards & Certifications
- 2004: Bravo Otto in Gold in the category "National rapper"
- 2004: Comet in the category "National Newcomer"
- 2005: Golden record for "Maske"
- 2005: Golden record for "Aggro Ansage Nr. 4"
- 2005: Golden record for "Aggro Ansage Nr. 5"
- 2006: Golden record for "Ich"
- 2006: Bravo Otto in silver in the category "Best Rapper National" (Sido)
- 2006: Juice Awards - 1st place in the category "Album National" for,,Ich"
- 2007: Golden Tape for 15 No. 1 rankings "Strassenjunge" in the video on MTV's TRL
- 2007: Bravo Otto in silver in the category "National Hip-Hop"
- 2008: Gold record in Austria for "Ich und meine Maske"
- 2008: Gold record in Switzerland for "Ich und meine Maske"
- 2009: Swiss Music Award in the category "Best Urban Album International"
- 2009: Comet in the category "Best Song"
- 2009: Platinum record in Switzerland for "Ich und meine Maske"
- 2010: Echo in the category "Best Video" for "Hey Du"!
- 2010: Comet in the category "Best Song"
- 2011: Gold record in Austria for "23"
- 2011: Gold record for "Ich und meine Maske"
- Sido über sein Leben im Osten: Sozialistische Grüße vom Ex-Gangsta-Rapper - Kultur | STERN.DE
- de:Maske (Album)#Titelliste
- Sido hat sich mit seiner Freundin verlobt - Nachrichten welt_print - Lifestyle - WELT ONLINE
- Musik: Sido und DSDS-Vize Menowin sind verwandt - Nachrichten Panorama - WELT ONLINE
- www.spiegel.com (German)
- Schlägerei unter Rappern: Sido vs. Azad (Pics + Videos inside) - Telefon-Treff
- Schlägerei beim HipHopOpen: Stellungnahmen von Bozz Music und Aggro Berlin
- (German) www.sido.de
- (German) www.aggroberlin.de
- (German) www.aggromuzik.de
- (German) Sido (rapper) at MySpace