born on 18/5/1974 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Links www.chantalkreviazuk.com (English)
Kreviazuk's first album, Under These Rocks and Stones, was released in June 1997 to critical praise. The album was certified double platinum by the CRIA for selling over 200,000 copies in the U.S., fueled mostly by the singles "Surrounded" and "God Made Me". Three videos from the album received modest play on the video channel MuchMusic and radio ("God Made Me", "Believer" and "Wayne"), but it was a fourth, "Surrounded", that became her first major Canadian airplay hit in 1997. That year, Kreviazuk received her first Juno Award nomination as Best New Artist. She also took part in the 1998 Lilith Fair music festival; "Surrounded" was included in the live compilation album from that year.
In 1999, Kreviazuk released her second album. Titled Colour Moving and Still, it featured tracks written with her new husband, Raine Maida, lead singer of Our Lady Peace. The lead single from the album "Before You" became a huge radio hit in Canada and she performed the single on the 2000 Juno Awards, where she won two awards for Best Adult/Pop Album and Best Female Artist. Kreviazuk released two more videos from the album, "Dear Life" and "Far Away", as well as an additional radio release, "Souls", which was also remixed and was released as a promo vinyl for the M1 & Steve Fernandez Remix.
Her third album, What If It All Means Something, was released in 2002. This album also featured multiple collaborations with Maida. The first single, "In This Life", was a hit in Canada. Kreviazuk performed the song live on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Kreviazuk announced via her blog in August 2005 that she was writing and recording her fourth album in her home studio, with Maida producing. The first single off the album, "All I Can Do", was made available on her official website and MySpace page prior to the release of the album. On July 24 the album premiered on the Canadian music channel Much More Music along with a behind the scenes special. The album, Ghost Stories, was released August 29, 2006.
On October 28, 2008, she released her first compilation album, Since We Met: The Best of 1996-2006.
On October 13, 2009, she released her fifth studio album, Plain Jane.
She is featured on a song called "Over My Dead Body" by fellow Canadian recording artist Drake from his 2011 album Take Care.
Her sixth album, entitled In This Life, was released on July 3, 2012.
Kreviazuk's work has appeared on many soundtracks for films and television shows. In 1998, Kreviazuk scored her only international hit to date with a cover of "Leaving on a Jet Plane", a song written by John Denver and popularized by Peter, Paul and Mary. The song appeared on the soundtrack to the blockbuster film Armageddon and was that album's follow-up single to Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing". The soundtrack album also featured a remix of Our Lady Peace's single "Starseed".
In 1999, Kreviazuk recorded a cover of the Randy Newman ballad "Feels Like Home" for the Dawson's Creek soundtrack, as well as How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. She also performed a cover version of The Beatles' "In My Life" for the television drama Providence.
In 2002, Kreviazuk recorded Another Small Adventure which was played in Stuart Little 2 and was on the soundtrack.
In this Life was featured in the film Saved! and also in a trailer for the film The Door in the Floor starring Jeff Bridges, as well as in an episode of the CW Television Network's Smallville. In May 2003 was the soundtrack of the "Episode 20" from "Everwood" in WB. Kreviazuk's "Time" was played in the credits of the movie Uptown Girls, and featured in an episode of the MTV reality show, Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, the pilot episode of the ABC romantic comedy/drama Men in Trees, the CBS drama Joan of Arcadia, and the ABC family movie Lucky 7. Her song "This Year" was featured on the Serendipity soundtrack. In 2005, two new songs written and performed by Kreviazuk were also featured on the soundtrack of the movie The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants. In 2006, "It's All About a Kiss" played during the film Just My Luck. The song "Weight of the World" is also featured during the credits of the 2003 film How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and in the us television series Wildfire.
Songwriting for others
Since 2003, Kreviazuk has co-written many songs for other artists, often collaborating with her husband Raine Maida. In 2003, Kreviazuk and Maida collaborated on a number of tracks with Avril Lavigne for Lavigne's second album Under My Skin. Kreviazuk and Maida also contributed songs to Kelly Clarkson's 2004 album Breakaway, The Veronicas' The Secret Life of the Veronicas, Marion Raven's 2005 and 2007 albums Here I Am and Set Me Free and recently Cheyenne Kimball's debut Hanging On in 2006. Their most recent collaboration came on the song "Permanent" for David Cook's self-titled album David Cook. She also helped write a song called "Gardenia" which appears on Mandy Moore's 2007 album Wild Hope. In 2011, she appeared on the rapper Drake's latest album Take Care; she wrote part of the song "Over My Dead Body" and sang the chorus. In 2012 Chantal wrote the Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera single Feel This Moment with The Messengers. She also wrote Josh Groban's single "Brave" with Josh Groban and Twags Salter. In 2014 she wrote a song with Shakira, released on her self-titled album. The song is called "You Don't Care About Me".
In 2001, Kreviazuk made her big-screen debut as a main character in David Weaver's indie film Century Hotel (co-starring alongside Sandrine Holt and Mia Kirshner). She also co-wrote the movie's theme song, "Can't Make it Good", with Maida.
Kreviazuk sang background vocals on a Nightmare of You song called "I Want to Be Buried in Your Backyard", which was released on their 2005 self-titled debut album. She has also contributed to Maida's solo EP, Love Hope Hero.
Kreviazuk also provided additional vocals on a Men, Women & Children song titled "Monkey Monkee Men", from their 2006 self-titled debut album.
In 2007, Kreviazuk starred in Pretty Broken, a short film about a woman dealing with mental illness. Kreviazuk also co-produced the movie.
She also writes a MySpace page, where she posts about her daily life, her thoughts on world politics, as well as updating fans with the latest on how writing/recording for her album is going.
On March 27, 2010, Kreviazuk headlined a concert held at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto to celebrate WWF's Earth Hour.
In 2010, she contributed the song "Na Miso" to the Enough Project and Downtown Records' Raise Hope for Congo compilation with Bibiana Mpoyo. Proceeds from the compilation fund efforts to make the protection and empowerment of Congos women a priority, as well as inspire individuals around the world to raise their voice for peace in Congo.
Kreviazuk also appears on Canadian singer-songwriter Ryan MacGrath's 2010 record, "Cooper Hatch Paris". She performs a duet with the artist entitled "Bird & Cage".
Kreviazuk was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba and attended Balmoral Hall School for Girls. In 1994 she received multiple jaw and leg fractures in a serious motorcycle accident in Italy and she spent several months recuperating. Kreviazuk met Raine Maida, the lead singer of Our Lady Peace, at a Pearl Jam concert September 21, 1996 in Toronto. They married in December 1999. On January 16, 2004, their son Rowan Michael was born. Their second son, Lucca Jon, was born on June 3, 2005. Their third son, Salvador "Sal" Daniel, was born on June 28, 2008. Kreviazuk and Maida renewed their wedding vows in Costa Rica in November 2009. The family lives in Toronto and also has a home in the USA.
Kreviazuk's parents are Carol and John Kreviazuk. John Kreviazuk is a successful businessman having founded and owned Krevco Pools in Winnipeg. Kreviazuk is of Ukrainian descent from her father and maternal grandfather. Her family roots also include Scottish and First Nations descent through her 5th great grandmother on her mother's side.
Chantal is also 2nd Cousins with curler and 2013 Scotties Tournament of Hearts champion Alison Kreviazuk
|1997|| Under These Rocks and Stones
|1999|| Colour Moving and Still
|2002|| What If It All Means Something
|2006|| Ghost Stories
|2009|| Plain Jane
- 2012: In This Life
|CAN||CAN AC||US Adult|
|1996||"God Made Me"||9||Under These Rocks and Stones|
|"Leaving on a Jet Plane"||Armageddon (soundtrack)|
|1999||"Feels Like Home"||12||Songs from Dawson's Creek|
|"Before You"||2||4||Colour Moving and Still|
|2002||"In This Life"||17||What If It All Means Something|
|"What If It All Means Something"|
|2004||"Weight of the World"|
|2006||"All I Can Do"||Ghost Stories|
|"Ghosts of You"|
- "God Made Me"
- "God Made Me" (US Version)
- "Leaving on a Jet Plane"
- "Before You"
- "Dear Life"
- "Far Away"
- "In This Life"
- "Time" (featuring clips from Uptown Girls)
- "Lebo's River - A Tribute" (with Raine Maida)
- "All I Can Do"
- "Dealer" (available on the Japanese version of "Under These Rocks and Stones")
- "Love is All" (available on the Japanese version of "Under These Rocks and Stones")
- "Leaving on a Jet Plane" (available on the Armageddon soundtrack)
- "Feels Like Home" (available on the Dawson's Creek soundtrack and How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days soundtrack)
- "In My Life" (available on the Providence soundtrack)
- "This Year" (available on the Serendipity soundtrack)
- "Leading Me Home" (available on the Men With Brooms soundtrack)
- "Another Small Adventure" (available on the Stuart Little 2 soundtrack)
- "Redemption Song" (available on the Peace Songs compilation)
- "O Holy Night" (duet with Avril Lavigne - available on the Maybe This Christmas Too? holiday compilation album)
- "These Days" (available on The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants soundtrack)
- "I Want You to Know" (available on The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants soundtrack)
- "Lebo's River - A Tribute" (with Raine Maida) (available on Help!: A Day in the Life)
- "Can't Make it Good" (with Raine Maida; theme song to "Century Hotel")
- "I Do Believe" (iTunes Exclusive with "Ghost Stories")
- "Wild Horses" (acoustic piano "Rolling Stones" cover)
- "In Waskada Somewhere" (available on CBC Radio 2's Great Canadian Song Quest compilation)
- "Cruel One" (feat Alex Band, Emmy Rossum - available on Alex Band's album We've All Been There as a bonus song)
- "Over My Dead Body" (feat Drake - available on Drake's album "Take Care")
Tracks co-written for other artists
- Avril Lavigne Under My Skin
- "Together" (Avril Lavigne/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- "He Wasn't" (Avril Lavigne/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- "How Does It Feel" (Avril Lavigne/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- "Forgotten" (Avril Lavigne/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- "Who Knows" (Avril Lavigne/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- "Slipped Away" (Avril Lavigne/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- Gwen Stefani Love. Angel. Music. Baby.
- "Rich Girl" (Chantal Kreviazuk/Gwen Stefani/Kara DioGuardi/Mike Elizondo/Eve/Adrian Young/M. Batson/J. Bock/S. Harnick)
- Kelly Clarkson Breakaway
- "Where Is Your Heart" (Kelly Clarkson/Kara DioGuardi/Chantal Kreviazuk & Co-Production)
- "Walk Away" (Kelly Clarkson/Kara DioGuardi/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida & Co-Production)
- Marion Raven Here I Am and Set Me Free
- "13 Days" (Marion Raven/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida & Co-Production)
- The Veronicas The Secret Life of the Veronicas
- "Revolution" (Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- Eva Avila Somewhere Else
- "Meant to Fly" (Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida/Gaby Moreno)
- Rex Goudie Look Closer
- "You Got To Me" (Kara DioGuardi/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- Cheyenne Kimball The Day Has Come
- "Hanging On" (Cheyenne Kimball/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- "Mr. Beautiful" (Cheyenne Kimball/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- Mandy Moore Wild Hope
- "Gardenia" (Mandy Moore/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- Hilary Duff Dignity
- "Outside Of You" (Alecia Moore (Pink)/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- Kelly Clarkson My December
- "One Minute" (Kelly Clarkson/Kara DioGuardi/Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- Luigi Masi
- "The Look" (Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- "Fake It" (Chantal Kreviazuk/Raine Maida)
- David Cook (singer) David Cook (album)
- "Permanent" (David Cook/Raine Maida/Chantal Kreviazuk)
- Carrie Underwood Play On
- "Unapologize" (Carrie Underwood, Hillary Lindsey, Raine Maida, Chantal Kreviazuk)
- Miranda Cosgrove Sparks Fly
- "Daydream" (Avril Lavigne, Chantal Kreviazuk)
- Namie Amuro Checkmate!
- "Wonder Woman" (TIGER, Marek Pompetzki, Paul NZA, Chantal Kreviazuk, Tanya Lacey)
- Drake Take Care
- "Over My Dead Body" (Aubrey Graham, Noah Shebib, Chantal Kreviazuk)
- Pitbull "Global Warming"
- "Feel This Moment" (Chantal Kreviazuk, Nasri Atweh, Adam Messinger, Sir Nolan, Pitbull, Christina Aguilera, Dj Buddha, Pitbull)
- Josh Groban "All That Echoes"
- "Brave" (Chantal Kreviazuk, Josh Groban, Twags Salter)
- Nominated, 1997, Best New Artist
- Nominated, 2007, Single Of The Year
- Nominated, 2007, Best Pop Album
- Won, 2000, Best Pop Album
- Won, 2000, Best Female Artist
- List of bands from Canada
- Chantal Kreviazuk- "Surrounded" Live on Songwriter's Circle. YouTube. Retrieved on 2011-03-09.
- Chantal Kreviazuk. Frequency. Fast Focus. Retrieved on 2008-05-26.
- Jacobs, Jay (9 September 2007). PopEntertainment.com: Chantal Kreviazuk interview about 'Ghost Stories.'. PopEntertainment. Retrieved on 8 July 2012.
- Picks and Pans Review: Under These Rocks and Stones : People.com. People. Retrieved on 8 July 2012.
- In This Life by Chantal Kreviazuk. last.fm. Retrieved on 8 July 2012.
- Pretty Broken Credits on its official site
- Home - NewsTimes.com. Newstimeslive.com (2009-08-13). Retrieved on 2011-03-09.
- CBB Exclusive: Chantal Kreviazuk and Raine Maida welcome third son; Introducing Salvador Daniel Maida. www.celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved on 2008-06-30.
- Chantal Kreviazuk's Blog - Tour Journal #1. www.myspace.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-09.
- Chantal Kreviazuk, Who Do You Think You Are?, CBC Television, broadcastNovember 8, 2007. URL accessed on 2007-11-08.
- musiccanada.com searchable database
- June 2001 Gold & Platinum certifications. Cria.ca. Retrieved on 2011-03-09.
- November 2003 Gold & Platinum certifications. Cria.ca. Retrieved on 2011-03-09.
- September 2006 Gold & Platinum certifications. Cria.ca. Retrieved on 2011-03-09.
- Chantal Kreviazuk Official site
- Chantal Kreviazuk Discography
- Chantal Kreviazuk at the Internet Movie Database
Under These Rocks and Stones Colour Moving and Still What if It All Means Something Ghost Stories
God Made Me Believer Wayne Surrounded Hands Leaving on a Jet Plane Feels Like Home Before You Dear Life Souls Far Away In This Life Time Julia What If It All Means Something Weight of the World All I Can Do Wonderful Ghosts Of You
Personal: Raine Maida