Links www.theparlotones.net (English)
The Parlotones is a rock band based in Johannesburg, South Africa. They have achieved multiplatinum-selling status in their home country. They experiment with their sound and various structures in their songs, incorporating the typical doo-wop or traditional folk structures. The Parlotones are known for the face make-up worn by lead singer Kahn Morbee.
In February 2002 the Parlotones released their debut album Episoda. The first album to reach mainstream succes was their second album Radiocontrolledrobot, which came out in 2005 which won Best Rock Album at the 2006 South Africa Music Awards. The ballad "Beautiful" was used in an Irish Fujifilm television commercial which led to a European license deal with Universal Music. The album achieved Gold status in 2007. Their next album A World Next Door To Yours was released in September 2007; it is South Africas biggest selling rock album of the decade.
Much of the band's success can be attributed to the strong ties they have formed with the media and their extensive use of publicity opportunities.
They are spokespersons for both Live Earth and Earth Hour along with Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, Prince Charles, and Rihanna.
The Parlotones' video to the single Life Design was added on MTV Europe.
- South African Music Awards 2006 - Best Rock Album 
- You Magazine Awards 2007 - Best Band
- FHM Readers Choice 2007
- MK Awards 2007 - Best Video
- Peoples Choice Awards 2008 - Best Music Act
- Best Band Award Caxtons best of JHB
- Loerie Kraft Award 2008 (first time a music video has won at the Loeries)
- MTV Africa 2008 Best Group nomination
- MTV Africa 2008 Best Alternative nomination
- MK Awards 2009 Best Video
- MK Awards 2009 Best Animation
- MK Awards 2009 Best Serenade
- SAMA Awards 2009 MTN Record of the year (nomination)
- SAMA Awards 2009 Best Global Chart DVD (nomination)
- SAMA Awards 2009 Best Music Video Of The Year
- SAMA Awards 2010 - Best rock album for Stardust Galaxies
- SAMA Awards 2010 - Best music video for Push Me to the Floor
- International Songwriting Competition (ISC) 2008 Music Video (first place)
- International Songwriting Competition (ISC) 2008 Performance (second place)
- 2009 Rock.Paper.Scissors featured on USA hit TV series One Tree Hill
Europe, Asia & MTV
- They released their album 'Stardust Galaxies' in the UK and Europe in June 2010.
- The single "Life Design" was released in the UK in April 2010.
On 16 September 2009, The Parlotones together with Hands on Wine released a Red Wine 'Giant Mistake', named after their single from the album A World Next Door to Yours. The wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (54%), Shiraz (23%), Pinotage (12%), and Cabernet Franc (11%).
In April 2010, a White wine 'Push Me to the Floor' was released, named after their single from the album Stardust Galaxies. The wine is a blend of Chenin blanc (60%), Gewürztraminer (15%), Chardonnay (20%,) and Viognier (5%).
On 5 October 2010, a Rosé wine 'We Call this Dancing' was released, named after the song from Stardust Galaxies. The wine is a blend of Wellington Pinotage (55%), Wellington Shiraz (25%), and a balance---a blend of 30 different varietals from the Upper Hemel-en-Aarde Valley near Hermanus (20%).
- Glenn Hodgson - bass guitar, piano, backing vocals
- Paul Hodgson - lead guitar, keyboard
- Kahn Morbee - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Neil Pauw - drums
- Episoda (2003)
- Radiocontrolledrobot (2005)
- A World Next Door to Yours (2007)
- Unplugged (CD and DVD Live at the Emperors Palace) (2008)
- Videocontrolledrobot (CD and DVD video compilation) (2008)
- Stardust Galaxies (2009)
- Live Design (Live CD and DVD video compilation) (2010)
- Video's (DVD video compilation with 'Road To The Dome' documentary) (2010)
- Eavesdropping on the Songs of Whales (Acoustic) (2011)
- Journey Through the Shadows (April 2012) 
- Borderline Patrol (2004)
- Dragonflies and Astronauts (2005)
- 1.0 1.1 The Parlotones - Discography.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 The Parlotones: 8th Annual Program Pop/Rock Song IMA Nominee / Video IMA Nominee. MUSIC RESOURCE GROUP LLC. Key acknowledgements include Best Rock Album 2006 at South African Music Awards, Best Music Act Peoples Choice Awards 2008, Best Band You Awards 2007, FHM Readers Choice 2007, Best Video MK Awards 2007, Best Video nomination Resfest 2007.